Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder Help?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder Help?!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder Help?!

hello all! well..i am BEYOND frustrated! i am trying to replace my ignition key lock cylinder in my 1983 cj7..non tilt wheel..i remember a very helpful thread a while back..but cant find it.. anyways..i have the entire steering shaft pulled out and apart..i can barely type i am soo frustrated!
i cant seem to get the dam barrel out! all i wanna do is get it out so i can see which one i need to order/replace..(jeep started with no keys before not good..i figured for 25 bucks i might as well replace it!
ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! what am i doing wrong? i cant seem to get it to come out! i tried "pushing the tab"..i see no other screws to take out! HELP?!
thanks in advance!

JUNK726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
dalefan388
1979 CJ5 

i have the opposite problem. my cylinder wont stay in. you pull the key out and it comes with.lol
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

There is a keeper screw. Both of you must be missing it. It is behind the turn indicator assembly. I think also behind the key buzzer thing-e-ma-gig contact insert.
Let me see if I can find a thread.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
74_jeep
1974 CJ5 

Heres a link for a tilt steering column fix.

It shows the break down of the Jeep column, you can see the ignition lock cylinder etc.... Should help you out

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html
74_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

http://www.luanjp.com/strenk/KeyLock...eplacement.htm

I believe this if for the non-tilt wheel. Good luck
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

For the orginal poster John's link above for the non tilt wheel is one of the best. I had the same problem and since you are in there should be cleaned and greased also.

For the other guy that key cylinder will not stay in the housing could be broken, mine did the same thing part way. It could be missing a screw or there could be housing damage, its alumium pot metal type stuff. There is a small sq area below the cylinder that a shim can be installed and hold the key mechanism tight. I did a nice write up on taking the play out of the tilt wheel and mentioned this with pics and links to 2-3 of the best steering column rebuild sites.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tilt-steering-column-repair-rebuild-564821/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

I think you're referring to the thread that I started and I got excellent responses to. Hope this is it, and it helps!

I still haven't done mine yet, its on the very long list of things to do though!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/help-has-anyone-replaced-ignition-lock-cylinder-680478/
xbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

ok..so that was the EXACT post i recall seeing a while back..i THANK U guys for posting it again! and to the original poster..John(?)..i wish i could buy u a beer....or a soda..or something to show my appreciation!!=) wow! that was SO VERY HELPFUL! i cannot believe my stupidity.. once i followed the steps..i got it out in less than 5 minutes! and no swearing and flying tools!=) thank u all! (i would have NEVER found that tab to depress..without that oh so helpful picture!!!!=)
i am, once again.. a happy cj7 project owner..and glad i joined the forum! now..off to order the new cylinder..and dig into my long list of parts needed..she will be on the road soon i hope! paint is next!..pics as soon as she's done!
thanks again!..to ALL...!=)
JUNK726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
http://www.luanjp.com/strenk/KeyLock...eplacement.htm

I believe this if for the non-tilt wheel. Good luck
I also resized that for mobile devices so if you're trying to do this in your garage and forget a step you can access it with your phone if you have internet on your phone.

http://www.luanjp.com/strenk/CJMobile.htm

or

http://luanjp.com/strenk/KeyLock/Key...mentMobile.htm

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

I have read that there are differences between the tilt and non-tilt cylinders and also a change in about 1984. Everywhere I've seen these sold they are listed to fit ALL CJs 76-86. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I need to replace my locking cylinder and don't want to order the wrong part. Thanks.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicj View Post
I have read that there are differences between the tilt and non-tilt cylinders and also a change in about 1984. Everywhere I've seen these sold they are listed to fit ALL CJs 76-86. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I need to replace my locking cylinder and don't want to order the wrong part. Thanks.
Take a look at the links above. They explain that all very well. Look at the tilt wheel or straight wheel. You were silent on that??? Read the 4-5 posts, decide the one you like best and print them off. Very good reference stuff.

Takes a bit of work but well worth it. Johns Strenks write up is one of the best if you have a nontilt wheel.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

I did take a look at the links above. These links have good information about how to break the column down, and thanks to the owners for posting that for the CJ world to use. However, they did not answer the question I asked. They discuss 2 different types of locking cylinders existing in the columns. A clip version and a screw version. It doesn't appear to be tilt/non-tilt from what I have read. However, the parts sites that I have seen are selling 1 cylinder that supposedly works for all 76-86 models, with no mention of whether they are for tilt or non, screw or clip. I was hoping someone here could offer advice.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Dear Illinccj,

John Strenks write up starts with showing pictures of the screw and clip cylinder lock. the Clip is the new style I believe but the article lists the transisiton date. It could be the PRODUCT you are looking at works with the clip & screw cylinders.

With out a link of the product you are looking , or your call to the vendor to ask if their cylinder lock works for clip& screw, it is a guess by all.
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Oakbluffjeeper
1977 CJ5 

I wish I had seen this a week ago I took my 77 column out to replace key cylinder and turn signal switch and
bottom bearing. I got it all apart but not without a lot of gnashing of teeth. Thanks Jeep forums I love the help.
Oakbluffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If I had to guess, I would say the clip would fit both versions as it looks as if there is some reminants of the original design there but I can't be positive without taking everything apart again.

Obviously the screw type is a later design, probably for theft reasons, and would not fit an earlier column.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.