replacing ignition control module and coil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replacing ignition control module and coil

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
slymongoose
1980 CJ7 

replacing ignition control module and coil

last week i went out to start my jeep (1980 cj7 straight 6) and it would not start. it would just crank and crank and crank, but not turn over.
after some investigating, i realized the ignition control module was toast. the stuff on the back had melted, and oozed down the side of the wheelwell.
so i replaced that, but the jeep still would not start, so i replaced the coil too, and then she turned over.

so now it starts and runs, but it doesn't sound/feel like it's 100 percent. maybe it's still missing a little bit?
i just used the cheapest ignition module and coil from NAPA, which were like 25 bucks each.

coil:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...1SB_0150093403

icm:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...0SB_0305904662

could this make any difference? should i use a better coil?

slymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
tumnusfleming
1979 CJ5 

My ignition module has melted away at the back and oozed down my wheel well as well but still works great...What are the symptoms for it not running 100%, what exactly is it doing/ sounds?
tumnusfleming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
slymongoose
1980 CJ7 

it sort of makes a sputtering sound at high RPMs ... almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but i don't see any holes in the pipe, and it would just be a strange coincidence if i had an exhaust leak happen at the same time as the ignition pooped out.
slymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Beach-Head
1986 CJ7 

This was an issue for my 86 CJ7 last week. I replaced the module with a stock module from napa and bought the gold coil as well as a new coil connector (the little black horseshoe shaped plastic connector that connects to the top of the coil) this afternoon. Jeep is running like a champ again. all in all it cost me $63. good luck

I've got no clue what I'm doing but I'm learning one busted knuckle at a time.
Beach-Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
raperfam
1977 CJ7 

maybe try some new spark plugs---that turned out to be my problem, had one bad one changed them all and bam running like a champion.
raperfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

From what I have read here, any and all of the replacement ign boxes are junk and a crapshoot at best. Many stories of non functioning units out of the box or almost immediate failures.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

I replaced my ICM and coil about 2 years ago. Niehoff was recommended on this board as the most reliable ICM for as JCJ says, they are mostly junk but the Niehoff with a fair price of about 30.00 has worked perfectly - so far. Let us know how your NAPA ICM works out for you slymongoose, it's always good to share part quality info.

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
tumnusfleming
1979 CJ5 

Just recently installed new Borg Warner ignition module and coil the other day that I bought from Oreilly's. Everything is working great and the Jeep runs like a champ now. Got a lifetime warranty on those parts as well. Best Regards.
tumnusfleming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Are you running stock exhaust? There is that pesky heat riser valve that can commonly get stuck either open or closed or the thermostatic spring breaks, comes unhooked or simply falls off. If the flapper gets stuck in the closed position it can cause detonation, overheating and rough idle after the engine is warm. If it is always open, there will be frequent stalling during warm up. I suppose damage to an ICM and coil can result from this. Anyway, it's easy enough to check and remedy if malfunctioning.

[]=O=[]
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddie View Post
Are you running stock exhaust? There is that pesky heat riser valve that can commonly get stuck either open or closed or the thermostatic spring breaks, comes unhooked or simply falls off. If the flapper gets stuck in the closed position it can cause detonation, overheating and rough idle after the engine is warm. If it is always open, there will be frequent stalling during warm up. I suppose damage to an ICM and coil can result from this. Anyway, it's easy enough to check and remedy if malfunctioning.
Do you have a pic or an expanation of where the heat riser valve is that you are refering to?
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

[]=O=[]
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A stuck heat riser will probably NOT hurt the ICM or coil but your engine will run poorly as littlebuddie describes.

With cheap ignition parts you get what you pay for. Maybe it producing to week of spark in your system. That could cause your rngine not to run 100%.

Did your jeep run great before you had to replace the coil and ICM?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
A stuck heat riser will probably NOT hurt the ICM or coil
Thanks John, I made the assumption because all 3 components went bad on my Jeep at the same time.

[]=O=[]
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Why not swap in a GM HEI module in place of the stock ECM? JYG has posted schematics on this site. Very reliable and fairly cheap. I wouldn't go with low buck ignition parts, did that once and ended up on the side of the road in the pouring rain swapping parts. Sucked.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
bigbird24
1986 CJ7 

I am new to this forum and a novice with my jeep. I have an 86 cj7 with a 258. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor but stopped at the coil. I wasn't sure which to get. The jeep was completely rewired with a painless wiring kit and as you can see in the photo a ballast resistor was installed on the firewall. I guess my question is which coil should I get and what is the small cylinder attached to the coil bracket with the wire going to the coil? Thanks
photo-17-.jpg   photo-18-.jpg   photo-19-.jpg  
bigbird24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ignition coil , ignition module

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.