Replacing header gasket on amc 360 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing header gasket on amc 360

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Replacing header gasket on amc 360

I had some exhaust work done on my '77 today, and when I picked it up, the mechanic showed me where I had a leak on one of the headers. It's on the drivers side, around cylinder #5. He pointed out the dark areas around the covers, and I could feel and hear the leaking exhaust. He said replacing the gasket is real easy; He thought I could just back the bolts out some and drop it in there. I've ordered the gasket from Oreilly, but I haven't seen it yet, and the salesman asked if if was supposed to be "U" shaped? I would think I would have to remove the exhaust manifold to get a new gasket in. I've looked through my Haynes manual, but they don't have any steps to doing this. Can someone give me a brief idea of how to do it easiest, and any tips would be helpful.
Thanks

He also asked me, again, what year the motor was. Since I've never been able to find anything on the motor to tell me that, I have no idea. I told him I figured any gasket from an AMC 360 would work; he found a '78 Matador in the computer with that size motor. Am I on the right track?

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

you have to take out all the bolts to remove it. only the outer two bolts drop on and the rest are complete holes that the bolt must go through. make sure you buy expensive header gaskets. i've used cheap ones and you get what you pay for. nows the time to look into header bolts like stage eight locking bolts. i did when replacing my gaskets.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Ok, so all the bolts but possibly the two ends need to come out. Is there a torque setting and sequence to use on the new bolts?
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

don't know the torque specs, i just tightened them and used the stage eight locking fastners so they don't come loose and i started inward and worked my way outwards.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.