Replacing header gasket on amc 360 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Replacing header gasket on amc 360

I had some exhaust work done on my '77 today, and when I picked it up, the mechanic showed me where I had a leak on one of the headers. It's on the drivers side, around cylinder #5. He pointed out the dark areas around the covers, and I could feel and hear the leaking exhaust. He said replacing the gasket is real easy; He thought I could just back the bolts out some and drop it in there. I've ordered the gasket from Oreilly, but I haven't seen it yet, and the salesman asked if if was supposed to be "U" shaped? I would think I would have to remove the exhaust manifold to get a new gasket in. I've looked through my Haynes manual, but they don't have any steps to doing this. Can someone give me a brief idea of how to do it easiest, and any tips would be helpful.
Thanks

He also asked me, again, what year the motor was. Since I've never been able to find anything on the motor to tell me that, I have no idea. I told him I figured any gasket from an AMC 360 would work; he found a '78 Matador in the computer with that size motor. Am I on the right track?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

you have to take out all the bolts to remove it. only the outer two bolts drop on and the rest are complete holes that the bolt must go through. make sure you buy expensive header gaskets. i've used cheap ones and you get what you pay for. nows the time to look into header bolts like stage eight locking bolts. i did when replacing my gaskets.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Ok, so all the bolts but possibly the two ends need to come out. Is there a torque setting and sequence to use on the new bolts?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

don't know the torque specs, i just tightened them and used the stage eight locking fastners so they don't come loose and i started inward and worked my way outwards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.