Replacing Clutch Pedal Return Spring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing Clutch Pedal Return Spring

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

Replacing Clutch Pedal Return Spring

Is there a trick to replacing the clutch pedal return spring up under the dash? I bought a new one because the one on there now squeaks everytime I push the clutch and it sounds like an old screen door opening and closing. It just seems so stiff that I don't know how I'm going to get the old one off and the new one on.

SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

To get the old one off you'll probably have to cut it. To get the new one on, the service manual has you drill a hole in the firewall, attached wire to the spring, run the wire through the hole and attach to a 2x4 under the hood to use as a pry bar to pull the spring onto the bracket. There is a good picture of the process floating around here somewhere.

I attached mine with the pedals out of the vehicle and it was still a major PITA. That spring is under a lot of tension. I used the tool you use for drum brake springs and had to use a two foot breaker bar on the end of that to have enough leverage to get it on.

Have you considered zip-tieing a piece of rubber or something else around the current spring to stop the noise?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Torxhead
1986 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure that squeaking is caused from the bearing that the clutch pedal rotates on. Have fun lubricating it. I hope somebody can tell me how to do this without complete disasembly. I installed a lube jerk up in there once but it works poorly. I also installed hoses around the clutch return spring ends.
After reading Coiz's post I appears that some changes have been made over the years. I guess my setup is a lot different.
Torxhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

This is the pedal set up I was working with.

You may be right that the noise could be from the pivot bearing for the pedal itself.
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

That looks to be the same set up that I have. I'll try the hose over the spring first. The way the squeak sounds I am pretty sure its the spring but not positive. It gets higher pitched as the spring stretches and gets lower as it retracts when the petal moves over-center. How hard is it to just remove the whole assembly as you have done?
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSportCJ View Post
That looks to be the same set up that I have. I'll try the hose over the spring first. The way the squeak sounds I am pretty sure its the spring but not positive. It gets higher pitched as the spring stretches and gets lower as it retracts when the petal moves over-center. How hard is it to just remove the whole assembly as you have done?
I don't think for 1982 model year CJ that the spring attaches the same way that Coiz's shows. Your spring may be mounted to the pedal arm as shown in the photo below.
Squeaking noise should not becoming from the pedal assembly pivot bushing either unless it is severely worn. The bushings are of the Oilite type and are lubricated for life due to the oil impregnated into the bronze alloy during manufacturing process of the bushings. Maybe the noise is coming from the clutch rods themselves since the factory units are steel against steel and usually wear out over time and could be the cause of your noise. I've added Oilite bushings for new clutch rods for all the clutch rod pivot points shown by the arrow in the photo and to the bellcrank mounted to the firewall and bellhousing.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Hey Kieth,
I'm assuming you had to drill out the hole to make the bushing fit. Any info on where you got them, part number, cost, ect.,.? Are they considered soft metal? The holes in the steal pedal and bell crank get distorted with normal use. Wondering if those are softer and going to be more prone to wear faster. Thanks.
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Got the bushings from McMaster-Carr for about .55 cents a piece and they are Part Number: 6338K414

Here's the specs on them: Oilite Bushing

Material: Bronze
Bronze Type: SAE 841 Bronze
Type: Flanged Sleeve Bearings
For Shaft Diameter (Inside Diameter): 3/8"
Inside Diameter Tolerance: +.0010" to +.0020"
Outside Diameter: 1/2"
Outside Diameter Tolerance: +.002" to +.003"
Flange Outside Diameter: 11/16"
Flange Thickness: 1/16"
Length: 1/4"
Length Tolerance: .005"
Load (P Max): 2,000
Speed (V Max): 1,200
Load at Speed (PV Max): 50,000
Temperature Range: +10 to +220 F
Specifications Met: Not Rated

And yes, had to drill the holes to 1/2" diameter but they work great as I did this back in 1993 and they show no signs of wear at any of the pivot points.

Unread 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
brandon20

glad i read this board. i just ordered a clutch return spring and i thought it was for the spring under the jeep not inside it. heres the diargram from morris 4x4 Jeep Clutch Parts for Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, Scrambler at Morris 4x4 Center. i bought # 25 which is the spring this forum is talking about. my spring near the clutch linkaga system under the jeep that moves with the clutch pedal is all rusted. does anyone # what spring this is and have alink for it? thanks
brandon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
brandon20

bump. does anyone know the answer to the above question. thanks
brandon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Items #6 and #12 are the only other springs in the clutch linkage system besides #25 for the pedal return shown in the Morris4x4 website diagram.

Unread 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

This is the procdure for clutch pedal spring replacement from my 1980 Jeep FSM. It involves drilling a hole in the firewall and using wire and 2x4's to pull the spring over the end of the clutck pedal. I used the procedure to replace my spring. Worked geat.

80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

Hey just saw this post about the 2x4 and wire. I'm going to try this tonight. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes!
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

I've got the exact same squeaking noise coming from the clutch pedal assembly. Pitch of noise increases as pedal get closer to the floor. I'm anxious to hear if the spring replacement works.
ddumbauld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Pog
1984 CJ7 

The spring setup on my '84 is just like the one in the picture Keith provided. I replaced the spring to help improve sloppy pedal return, and the noise was actually worse with the newer spring. However, I encountered it with both.

I decided to try a trick I found when building my guitar and it silenced it completely. A gent on YouTube was kind enough to provide a video of the procedure. Watch it and you'll get the idea.

YouTube - Strat Spring Silencing Trick

You can also add a little light oil or grease to the foam strip to improve the dampening even further.

Regards
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.