Replacing AutoMeter oil pressure gauge with factory gauge help w/ wiring! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing AutoMeter oil pressure gauge with factory gauge help w/ wiring!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
Replacing AutoMeter oil pressure gauge with factory gauge help w/ wiring!

The PO poorly installed an AutoMeter oil pressure gauge that I am removing and replacing with an factory oil pressure gauge.
The factory gauge has:

-bulb opening
-center stud
-two mounting studs

The AutoMeter that I'm taking out has:

-bulb opening (not same as factory) with orange wire to bulb, and from the bulb housing there's a black wire to center stud (ground I suppose).

-center stud (has the black wire from the bulb housing as I said).

-two mounting studs (no wires attached)

-left stud with red wire

-right stud with purple (or brown) wire

So this autometer has 5 studs and a bulb hole in the rear!

Which of these wires do I hook up to the rear of the factory gauge?

Thanks.

Unread 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
mdlott
1978 CJ7 

It depends on what version of the gauge you have. You can find some good info here: http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Gaug...QuickFacts.htm

If the factory gauge has 3 studs, then it should be the following (from left to right as you're looking at the back of the gauge):
purple wire, black wire (ground), red wire

Hopefully, you also have an orange wire with an empty bulb socket on it that you can use for illumination of the gauge.
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

No, I don't have that bulb socket. I'll try to find one or make this one work.
So, if I understand correctly, the factory gauge uses the two mounting studs to connect the wires as well. Got it. Thanks.

Edit: I just looked at the link, and it seems that the version I have is for CJ's up to 1982 (mine is '85). I didn't know there were two versions, so thanks. Can I still use this one? It looks like the ohms are different and I don't want to mess things up.
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
mdlott
1978 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. I have the one for 1984 to 1986 in my '78 and it works.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Nope, They are not interchangeable. The resistance difference is huge.
All you need though is a different sending unit to use that gauge.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
mdlott
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Nope, They are not interchangeable. The resistance difference is huge.
All you need though is a different sending unit to use that gauge.
Good to know. I had to replace the sending unit when I went back to using the factory gauge (that I grabbed from the junkyard), so I must have lucked out and blindly chose the correct one.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge but on most of the autometer gauges the studs are marked with a letter. The one you want has an S for sending unit. That assumes that is was wired correctly. I would follow the wires to see where they lead before hooking them based on what they should be. The autometer gauges are good, just make sure you have right sending unit.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

The Autometer gauge that I want to remove works just fine. It just doesn't look right with the other stock gauges. The po may not have changed the sending unit, so perhaps buying a proper gauge form a vendor will work fine as well. The factory one I have was given to me by ReconRabbit as a gift. What would happen if I hook it up with the improper ohms? Since it was free, I won't worry if it blows up, but I don't want shrapnel hitting me. The vendor ones are about 20 bucks for the 1985 one.
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

You shouldn't get any shrapnel, they gauge reading just won't mean anything useful
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Stewart Warner makes a mechanical oil pressure that looks and fits exactly like the factory gauge.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you have the wrong sending unit it will either read low all the time or high all the time depending which miss-match you happen to have running.

For instance if you have an oil pressure gauge set up for a low resistance sending unit and hook it up with a high resistance sending unit then your pressure will always read low.
If you have a high resistance gauge with a low resistance sending unit, then it will always read High.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Well then, since I'm not sure what resistance the sending unit being used with the Auto Meter is, I'll hook up the '82 gauge and see if the pressure is normal..If it isn't , I'll just order the correct gauge. Thanks.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlott View Post
It depends on what version of the gauge you have. You can find some good info here: http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Gaug...QuickFacts.htm

If the factory gauge has 3 studs, then it should be the following (from left to right as you're looking at the back of the gauge):
purple wire, black wire (ground), red wire

Hopefully, you also have an orange wire with an empty bulb socket on it that you can use for illumination of the gauge.

The Autometer has the wires reversed, so that the purple is on driver's side, the red is on passenger side, and black is center. When you said by looking at back of gauge, did you mean upside down as taken out of hole, or right
side up but turned out? Please refer to the studs as driver or passenger in mounted position.
Thanks.
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Nevermind, I had it wrong. There's a tag on the Autometer that indicates the sender wire (purple) is in the passenger side, so I wired the factory one like that. Unfortunately, it reads very low, so thst means that the sender is the correct one for '85-'86, and I either need the correct gauge or the different (older) sending unit.
I'm curious as how the vendors (I'm looking at Jeephut) sells the same one for 1976-1986 when the 85/86 is different?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.