Replacing '76 CJ5 Ball Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing '76 CJ5 Ball Joints

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Replacing '76 CJ5 Ball Joints

Sorry to post this but my Haynes manual has no info on CJ ball joint replacement, and Goggle & Forum searches aren't getting me anywhere. I'll be replacing the ball joints on my '76 CJ5. I got a new set of joints from a local parts store and scored a socket for the slit ring upper BJ tensioner. I'm familiar with the process of pulling and installing the knuckles, as a number of years ago I converted the CJ to front disks using donor parts from a '79 and an '84. I used the '79's knuckle and at the time noted the ball joints were pretty loose. Time's come to freshen them up.

So, I have a ball joint removal / install tool set and a small shop press. Since the ball joints are pressed into the knuckles, not not the inner "Cs" it appears the knuckles will have to be clamped in a vise, etc. before you can pop the BJs out using a common ball joint "C" clamp tool. . I'm curious about the best way to press out / press in. Trying to avoid a curse fest, can anyone shed any light on the best way to get them out / in? Thanks!

SoK66 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

It can be a pain in the ***. I just did mine on my 86 cj7. They can be decieving. If I remember correctly the joint may look like it has a lip on the underside but not the case you must press them out from the bottom going up. they came out relatively easy once I figured that out.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! Did you just use a press or a ball joint C-Clamp?
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I used the C Clamp/Press rented from Autozone
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, now I'm stumped. I converted this '76 to disk brakes about 8 years ago using donor parts from a '79 & '84, plus all new rotors & loaded calipers. I swore when I did the swap that one of the ball joints seemed marginal. Thought for sure by now it would be ready for the trash can. However, I lifted each wheel off the ground and checked for play by lifting each knuckle. Doesn't appear to be any play at all. I'm going to do the TREs tomorrow, so I'll double check them more thoroughly, but it looks like I may not need them after all. That would be nice!
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

Mine were good still too but I just replaced them anyway just for good measure seeing I had swapped everything else out. if you haven't would be a good Idea to replace the spindle bearings and wheel bearings.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

Might not be a bad idea to replace the ball joints since it sounds like your freshening up some other front-end components, but as mentioned, it is definitely a PIA. Once you get the adjustment sleeves out which is a major chore in and of itself, the real fun begins. I spent the better part of a day with a c-clamp press, breaker bar, impact gun and BFH and couldn't get mine to budge. Took the knuckles to the local machine shop and they popped them out, but the machinist said that even his shop press was huffing and puffing. Looking back on it now, a little heat/cold might've helped get them to move.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, I pulled the drag link & tie rod to replace the TREs. While I had 'em off I checked both sides and they were just fine, no play whatsoever. Put in the new TTEs and we're good to go. Prolly saved me a days R&R, and a press curse fest! Thanks all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.