Replacement Fender Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacement Fender Suggestions?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
85CJ7denver
1985 CJ7 

Replacement Fender Suggestions?

I am looking to replace the original fenders on my 1985 cj7. I'm new and dont see how to attach a pic..But...The sun has faded out the fenders into that nasty grey looking stuff that you see so often.

I have seen many options for replacement fenders but I am all ears if you have used a certain brand that you have been happy with. I dont plan on modifying the jeep into a rock crawler or anything, so I am looking to stay with more of a stock style fender. I do have a 5'' lift and 33's on it though, so something a little more aggressive may not look that bad at all.

Let me know what you've been happy with...Thanks,

85CJ7denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

are you talking about the fender flares? if so just take them off and paint them...
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
85CJ7denver
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJames View Post
are you talking about the fender flares? if so just take them off and paint them...
Im sorry...fender flares

What would you use, just a little spray paint?
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

yea, Just get some duplicolor plastics paint from walmart or something, thats what I used.
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
85CJ7denver
1985 CJ7 

quick question guys...I am about to go down the path of painting my existing fender flares, but wanted some advice...

Take the fenders off and paint them?

OR

Mask the body and paint them while they are on?

I am sure a few of you have gone down the path of doing this both ways and have an opinion. Obviously, leaving them on may be the easiest, but I dont want it to look like &%$# either...
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

I just took mine off, much easier, then you dont have to worry about overspray. They are just on there with like 4-5 bolts I beleive.
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Btowntaz
1980 CJ7 

If your fender flares have never been off, they might be a pain in the *** to get off. Check how many bolts and thier condition before making up your mind!

Also are the flares rubber or plastic? On my 80 CJ-7 the flares were rubber and cracked all to hell. If they are rubber, might want to think about just getting new ones, before they fall apart!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22510_00_07.htm
[SIZE="4"][B]My Jeep build:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=SaskCJ7;12154245]First off, whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on.[/QUOTE]
Btowntaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

Krylon fusion is great for fender flares. its made for painting plastic.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

I used Mothers Back to Black polish. Took all the oxidation off and made them shiny black.
Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
85CJ7denver
1985 CJ7 

I ended up buying a pair of brand new rugged ridge replacement OEM style flares on ebay for $49...shipped it was around $60.

You would think pulling off the old fender flares and putting the new ones on would be simple, right? Not at all. About 6 hours later I am finally 95% done. I have a couple of bolt holes that arent lining up so I need to drill out the flare some to hopefully get the screws through and pull everything into place.

One thing I noticed on the new ones (rugged ridge brand) is that the back flares on both the driver and passenger side have sort of a bulge in them. almost exactly in the center of the flare on both sides there is a spot where it kind of kinks up and pokes out rather than being smooth all the way across. Anyone ever delt with this before? I am hoping to drive it and park it out in the sun for a bit this afternoon and left everything heat up on it and hopefully settle into place.

They look good, but never envisioned anything over 2 hours to get it all done...
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

I'll tell you what also works. If you have access to MEK, an industrial solvent, it'll turn them as black as they were new. I rubbed mine down with the stuff and buffed out the streaks and they look great.
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CJ7denver View Post
I ended up buying a pair of brand new rugged ridge replacement OEM style flares on ebay for $49...shipped it was around $60.

You would think pulling off the old fender flares and putting the new ones on would be simple, right? Not at all. About 6 hours later I am finally 95% done. I have a couple of bolt holes that arent lining up so I need to drill out the flare some to hopefully get the screws through and pull everything into place.

One thing I noticed on the new ones (rugged ridge brand) is that the back flares on both the driver and passenger side have sort of a bulge in them. almost exactly in the center of the flare on both sides there is a spot where it kind of kinks up and pokes out rather than being smooth all the way across. Anyone ever delt with this before? I am hoping to drive it and park it out in the sun for a bit this afternoon and left everything heat up on it and hopefully settle into place.

They look good, but never envisioned anything over 2 hours to get it all done...
How did this ultimately work out for you?

Some scheissekerl bumped into my fender flare on the right front and cracked it along the fender line. I like the style of the OEM and want another set. I wonder if there ARE good, better, best makers/sellers of these OEM flares out there?

Thanks for posting, and a lift of the lynch lid.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.