replaced steering box....how do you align? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replaced steering box....how do you align?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

replaced steering box....how do you align?

hey,

I replaced the steering gear box, and removed and replaced the tie rod ends, and the pitman arm tie rod end. i measured the old distance from end to end on the tie rod, and will adjust to that to get it close, and then adjust to get it right, but here are my questions:

1. should there be any toe in at all, or should the front and rear of tire give the same readings? i have heard of 1/8 inch toe in, but not sure.

2. is there anyway to change the tie rod end on the end of the drag link that attaches to the steering knuckle without buying a new drag link? i thought you would be able to remove and replace the tie rod end only, but i guess not.

3. I put on a new steering box, and once i get the engine started and bleed it correctly, i will turn it stop to stop and measure how many turns, divide by 2, and find the center point of the output shaft. my question here is, do i put the pitman arm on the shaft pointing directly to the rear and adjust the drag link to meet the pitman arm or do i need to only loosely attach the arm to the shaft and play around with it to find the center point when the tires are facing forward? i may not have discribed that too well, but hopefully yall will know what i mean.

thanks for any advice here, as this is new territory for me.

clarythedrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Sczok123
1984 CJ7 

I am rather interested in this one! I have been trouble shooting a gear box issue and have been wrestling with either doing it myself....which I am not sure if I have the exp. to do a project like that.
Sczok123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

I've always done 1/8" toe in on all my cars and they track great. My drag car does 115 in the quarter mile with a regular ol' tape-measure alignment job at 1/8" and it tracks perfectly fine.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
my question here is, do i put the pitman arm on the shaft pointing directly to the rear and adjust the drag link to meet the pitman arm or do i need to only loosely attach the arm to the shaft and play around with it to find the center point when the tires are facing forward?
I just replaced both my steering box, and front tie-rods. In my case, I actually had nothing to adjust since the pitman arm can only go on one way. There is a large "spline" that prevents you from misaligning it.

As for the tie-rod ends? You can buy just the ends. Though I think you are referring to the "right/front" tie rod? Thats the long one, and its one piece.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarythedrill View Post
... 2. is there anyway to change the tie rod end on the end of the drag link that attaches to the steering knuckle without buying a new drag link? i thought you would be able to remove and replace the tie rod end only, but i guess not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
As for the tie-rod ends? You can buy just the ends. Though I think you are referring to the "right/front" tie rod? Thats the long one, and its one piece.
The stock drag link has one tie rod end, an adjustment sleave and the main rod has an integral "tie rod end" connected. If you want a drag link with a new end, you need a new drag link. When faced with that choice, I upgraded... see below.

As for after market support, the Big Daddy drag link uses standard tie rod ends on each end and you adjust it by rotating the entire drag link and holding in place with jam nuts. I use the Big Daddy tie rod and drag link.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey HP,

my drag link does not have a removeable tie rod end on the end that attaches to the steering knuckle. it does have a replaceable tie rod end on the end that attaches to the pitman arm, and i am replacing it. however, the other end it isnt replaceable, or so it seems. i was sure it would only have a locking ring that needs to be removed, and you would be able to press the old end out, but mine appears to need the entire drag link, minus the adjusting sleeve and tie rod end at the pitman arm end.

EDIT: go Jeepin, i understand now about the drag link, thanks.
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

Turn steering wheel end to end and count revolutions, divide by 2 and that's center, make sure your pitman arm is just left " drivers side" of center. Mark and lock steering wheel. 1/8th or so toe in on front. Mark spots front and rear on both front tires in same spot and use them as your measuring point. Undo both ends of the tie rod and screw in until they are close to same distance on same ends and insert into knuckles, drag link should be adjustable as well and use the same setup for it to the pitman. Tighten and drive around the block....... I've done it a lot !!!!!!!! Hope this helps
CJ7Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

going to knock that out today. thanks sasquatch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.