replaced my intake manifold gasket and now the jeep won't start.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replaced my intake manifold gasket and now the jeep won't start....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
ravenCJ
1983 CJ7 

replaced my intake manifold gasket and now the jeep won't start....

Well, it will start, but I don't know where these 2 wires off the coil go to. If the bare wire is run directly to the battery, it starts and runs fine. It *seems* everything I took apart has found it's home, but obviously not. Can somebody point me in the right direction? It's an AMC 360.

ravenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You are not clear on whether this is a stock iginition c1983 so I have assumed it is.

You don't show the entire coil cap but the other terminal is the -ve and that green wire in the background should go to it.

The wires in your hand are connected to the +ve terminal of the coil and are Red with tracer.

If you pull out a wiring diagram, or see schematic below, you will see that one of the red wires with tracer goes to a splice for power and the other probably went to the radio interference condenser, which does not appear in your photo. The condenser is not vital to operation, unless you cannot hear a word from your radio that is.

Here is a diagram showing where those wires went. You need to have a fish around lower down below the coil and find the Red with tracer wires that run from the starter solenoid to the bulkhead connector (not the one which runs from the bulkhead connector to the ignition control unit, same colour but no ballast resistor in it).

If you have the right wire it should have a splice a few feet along from the starter solenoid that used to connect to the coil. Make sure you are connected on the correct side (i.e. starter side) of the ballast resistor (the bit of wire soldered into the cable that is 1.35Ohm) if it has a standard ballast resistor ignition as it is possible to confuse it with the splice which goes to the electric choke.

Once you are connected you should have 7V (dim bulb) in Run and 12V (bright bulb) in Start at the coil.
schematic-ignition-layout.png  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
ravenCJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You are not clear on whether this is a stock iginition c1983 so I have assumed it is.
The problem is I'm new to Jeeps and I'm not sure. I don't think it is, since it has a motorcraft distributor and some not so stock looking connections and splices. I'll do a little more digging now that I have it tucked in the garage.
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
ravenCJ
1983 CJ7 

Never mind, I figured it out in about 20 seconds this morning. I think I just needed to step a way for a while last night and take my mind off it and start fresh this morning. The wire I needed had simply retracted a bit into some wire loom cover and was hiding. It's done and fixed, I appreciate your help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.