Replace straps with gas tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replace straps with gas tank?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Replace straps with gas tank?

I am wondering if a get a replacement tank of the same size if I will be able to reuse the straps that are on there now, or will I need to get new ones.Thanks

Unread 10-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

For the CJ or the TJ?

The CJ uses the skid plate to hold the tank up. It has one strap on it, for or five bolts in the rear and I believe 2 bolts up front. The skid plate is lined with rubber to reduce noise and friction.

I have no idea about the TJ
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Sorry, yes it is for the CJ. I have seen a strap on both sides, I guess I figured there was two underneath the skid. So I could, pending the condition, reuse the one that is there right.
Thanks
Unread 11-01-2002, 12:15 AM   #4
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

You should be able to reuse the old strap and skid plate. The only reason I would think you couldn't is that it is damaged or rusted real bad.
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I just got a new tank, skid plate and all three straps. The straps from quadratec aren't that expensive, so you might get new ones. I looked at my old ones and they were all beat up and unusable. You might luck out, but all in all it may be a better idea to go with new ones. The kit for a 76 CJ was like 49 bucks for all three straps. I also got the new sending unit as well. I went all new and together for the

tank
plate
sending unit
straps

was like $325 with the shipping. I don't know what your budget is, but I definitely agree with the motto of doing it once and doing it right. If it is in question, probably better to replace it.
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
Jami
1973 CJ6 

I agree with the motto, but my budget doesn't at this point. I already have a new sender and am getting the tank. I will see what kind if condition they are in and take it from there. Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.