replace plastic valve cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replace plastic valve cover

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
rtaff

replace plastic valve cover

Where can I buy a valve cover that requires no drilling to replace a plastic cover on a 1982 cj5 with a 258.

rtaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

New? No where. Used, maybe.

With an aluminum cover, it's probable that you won't have to drill, but likely that you will have to thread two holes already in the head. It's really not a big deal.

Total cost - somewhere in the $200 range for the cover, gasket, the tap for threading, and any ancillary sealants you use.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
rtaff

thanks, I might just go back plastic. sounds a lot easier.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
wm69

Get aluminum. Plastic will leak again. Like Hound said, probably won't have to drill.

Aluminum 4.2 cover, tap two holes on the drivers side of the block, buy new bolts to replace crap that comes with 4.2 cover, install.

A tap is a T shaped tool. Easy to use. Hole is already there, and a tap looks like a screw. You screw it in a little, back it out, screw it in a little, back it out, until you hit the bottom of the existing hole. That threads the hole. It's that easy. First tap I ever used was putting a 4.2 valve cover on my green Jeep. I was shocked at how easy it was. Some things sound scary but they're easy.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
rtaff

Thanks I might try it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.