to replace or not to replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > to replace or not to replace

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

to replace or not to replace

today, i came to the conclusion that my jeep has spent the majority of its life outside, in michigain, and that it has been in a small accident.

my first concerns are that one of my body mounts is completly rusted through and the bushing is gone. also, my floor pans have been replaced and whoever did it didn't do a full job. my current plans are to take the body off and go through the underside and see what i can fix. I did a search for a new set of body mounts but only got the bushings. where can i get these? my second concern is that my spring packs are pretty flat, should they be replaced now or is it safe to go maybe a year on them until i can get that lift i want? and while i'm down there would it be worth it to replace my spring hangers and shackles?

Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

also, if i were to get new spring packs which ones? 4,6,7, or 9 leaf? i would assume the 6 leaf since i am going to be doing light trail and that i have the I6 and dana 30 amc 20 axels but i'm not sure

just checked and what i have now are 4 leaf packs, if i upped to 6 or 7 leaf packs would that lift my vehicle? if i wanted to level the vehicle could i put a 7 leaf pack in front and a 6 pack in back?
(sorry i have so many questions)

Last edited by Matt_G; 03-13-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Gosh, I don't know what to say.
I am blessed, living in Texas. No rust on most any kind of vehicle. I know many face your concerns and will tackle a restoration. Heck, I ain't scared. It is just too easy to find a nice one here.
To your concerns, given that it has been up in the rust belt and also has been in an accident, not knowing the degree of, umm, wear, I would replace it.
As we all know, it is usually better to spend a little more when buying one than to get a fixer upper and spend the money it would take to get it in good shape.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

i did check the springs over carefully tonight and they seem like they have enough life left in them. i will be taking the body off and patching the frame, putting that new mount on, and probably por15'ing the frame and underside/inside of the tub. might also make rewiring the rear easier too, since i will be able to see it all.

i see a body off resto coming on, a very slow one though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.