Repainting rear OEM wheel center cap centers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Repainting rear OEM wheel center cap centers

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
wm69

Repainting rear OEM wheel center cap centers

Got some OEM wagons with OEM center caps. Want to paint the black around the "Jeep" logo. Anyone done this and if so, how did you do it. Brush is going to look, well, brushed.

Spray painting looked great till I tried to clean off the "Jeep" logo before the paint dried and ended up removing half the paint from where it's supposed to be.

Also, any paint adhesion problems with paint on these chrome caps? I know they're some kind of potmetal, but still, it's chrome.......

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I used a can of enamel paint from Walmart and a small brush to "puddle" the paint on these centercaps for my J-10. It dried very smooth with no brush marks.
jeep-centercap1.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I repainted a pair of chrome Laredo caps, and I tried a few different things but what wound up working best was to just mask off around the outside of the painted area to prevent overspray, then paint the whole face.
Once the paint had dried a little, and I mean just a couple of minutes, I used a lint-free rag (an old cotton oxford-cloth dress shirt) dampened with acetone and stretched tight across my finger so it didn't remove anything other than what I wanted to remove. Letting it dry just a bit reduced the tendency to smear, but it still came off easily.
That took off the paint on the raised areas, then I used a q-tip dipped in a little acetone to get the small spots.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1
I used a can of enamel paint from Walmart and a small brush to "puddle" the paint on these centercaps for my J-10. It dried very smooth with no brush marks.
Aww, I have 3 of those center caps and had no idea what they were for.
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

I would clean it really well, tape off the outside and coat the jeep letters with Chapstick. After you paint it and it drys take a cloth and wipe away the Chapstick. Works like a charm.

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
I would clean it really well, tape off the outside and coat the jeep letters with Chapstick. After you paint it and it drys take a cloth and wipe away the Chapstick. Works like a charm.

Chris
I can see that working out very well.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
mb_24
1985 CJ7 

This is why this site is great. Chapstick worked like a charm on my hubs and I didn't have a huge mess. Never would have thought of it if I hadn't done a search on painting the hubs.

I actually appear to know what I'm doing.

1985 CJ-7 Renegade, Sebring Red, 258 + 5-speed
mb_24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.