Renegade or not??? How do I tell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Renegade or not??? How do I tell?

Black Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com

Unread 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
TCR3
1981 CJ5 

Renegade or not??? How do I tell?

I recently bought a 1981 CJ5 un-seen. How can I tell if it is a Renegade I, II, etc?? I have only seen pictures and wont drive it until I re-deploy home. Also the seller emailed me and said that he recently installed a 304 V8. Any chance this is a Jeep engine or not?

TCR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
xtreme-one

jeep made the 304 in the 70s and early 80s so most likely the PO switched from a l-4 or l-6 to the v8.
the best way for us to help you is to post a pic of your jeep. but renegades were mostly decals and some extra features.
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

First of all, if it's a 1981, there's no way it's a Ren I or Ren II, those were only made in 1970 and 1971, respectively. After 1972 they were all just called "Renegade" and were no longer a performance package with the special suspension and frame upgrades of the Ren I and II, but were essentially just an appearance package. There NOTHING special about a 1981 Renegade that could not be had on an CJ-5. Just some vinyl decals and a few upgraded appearance options, all of which could be ordered separately. So in short, if you want a Renegade, buy the reproduction decals and slap em on, and no one will ever know the difference. There is no VIN coding or anything else that distinguishes the later Renegade package. Some of them had a clock, but it doesn't appear to be unique to the Renegade, it was part of the Laredo package though.

Yes, the 304 is a Jeep (AMC) engine and was factory available in the CJ-5 in 1981.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

basically, at that point, any of the options that were part of an 'appearance package' such as a Renegade or Laredo were also available individually from the factory, dealership or aftermarket.

there isn't any part of the VIN that shows 'appearance packages'.

unless you know for sure from the factory (original owner/paperwork) anything else would be a best guess based on parts.

(pathkiller and I were answering at the same time- he obviously types a bit quicker than I do)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post

(pathkiller and I were answering at the same time- he obviously types a bit quicker than I do)

Hoss
Great minds think alike
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
otterred
1976 CJ5 

correct me if I'm wrong and this is just Renegade II's but they had 304 already installed, power breaks, ps and tach and clock, fuel skid and roll bar- and because it was such a big hit it became a model instead of a special edition. so it was a regenade it would have a 304 already in it.
otterred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterred View Post
correct me if I'm wrong and this is just Renegade II's but they had 304 already installed, power breaks, ps and tach and clock, fuel skid and roll bar- and because it was such a big hit it became a model instead of a special edition. so it was a regenade it would have a 304 already in it.
Okay, you're wrong. The Renegade II was a 1971 option only, a year before the 304 was available, and it had a Dauntless 225 V6.

By 1981 the Renegade package was just stickers, and could be had with any engine.
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
otterred
1976 CJ5 

One of my many jeep books. this one Title JEEP from bantam to wrangler by Bill Munro (Amazon.com: Jeep: From Bantam to Wrangler (Crowood autoclassic) (9781861263193): Bill Munro: Books) states that 1970 renegade I was a 462 package, and not until 1972 when the cj went under its changes did they introduce the renegade II. but who knows where this guy gets his facts. and yes i do sit around reading Jeep books, I have alot of free time.
otterred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Read this: The JeepĀ® 462, Renegade I and Renegade II Pacakage « Earlycj5.com

The 1972-1983 CJ-5 Renegade could technically be considered the "Renegade III" although Jeep never called it that.

And if you look at the picture below you can clearly see "Renegade II" and the V6 badge below, indicating that this is a 1971 model and not a 1972.
http://www.goldeneagledecals.com/ren2.jpg
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
IDK

Yeah Renegade 1 and 2 were offered on a limited basis in 70 and 71 after that they just called them Renegade. They were offered on a limited basis until 1976 and then became a dress up package, they no longer automatically included a V8, instead they became standard with a 232ci six with the 304 V8 optional or the big 258ci six. After that the Renegade was no longer a true muscle car. It was nice that they were no longer a limited model though so many people could enjoy them. My 80 is a Renegade with the 258, the decals are gone but the guy that restored it gave us a photo album of before and after pics of it. It was white before restoration and you can see the faded orange Renegade decal stretched across the hood. I'd like to get new decals for it someday
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.