removing stuck front brake drums? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > removing stuck front brake drums?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
tomass
1965 CJ5 

removing stuck front brake drums?

I am working on rebuilding the entire brake system on my 65 cj5. The back braked went fine but moving on to the front, I can't get the drums off. I have tried soaking with pb blaster and hitting with a hammer, heating up with a torch and hitting with hammer and have sparingly used a sledge hammer. but so far no luck. any suggestions?

tomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The drums my be heavily grooved.
The shoes are holding the drum on.
So back off the adjuster through the little
slot with a brake spoon.
If that doesn't work, go to the back side
and grind the head of the brake nails off,
this will allow the brakes to pivot and you should
be able to pry the drum off.
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

you have obviously let all the pressure off your brakelines? I've never seen a hub that wouldn't come off when hit on the sides with a rubber mallet, working your way all the way around it a few times.. pulling it at the same time, little by little it should slip off.. you don't have locking hubs or something in the hub holding it on do you?
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
tomass
1965 CJ5 

shoe groove may be the problem. I have looked and the locking hub is not holding it on. Here is a pic of it. I am going t go out after lunch and try adjusting the shoe pivot.
brake.jpg  
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

not sure if it goes back that far but sometimes they had some flat head allen screws holding the drum on to the hub.

I see one suspicious spot right about the 1:00 position in you picture.
Clean all the paint and grime off that spot.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

seems to me you have to remove the locking hubs to get to the brake drums too.. I was going to do mine and stopped at that point..
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
tjeep1
1978 CJ7 

the drums dont come off without removing the hub assembly i do believe
tjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at the picture again,
I think they are right, those are inboard drums, ie come off with hub.
If you have a parts source I would want to change that over,
just because you can then use the same drums front and rear.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The drums are swagged to the lug bolts. This is a common occurrence on many early vehicles. This is done at the plant to keep the drum on the hub during assembly. Later models used a small Phillips screw to accomplish the same thing (model 20 rear drums).
You will have to remove the hub assembly to get to your brakes. If you need to separate the two, the best way is to use a special cutting tool that removes the swag. You can sometimes drive the lug bolt out, but many times you can damage the drum doing this.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
tomass
1965 CJ5 

If I remove the hub, then take the drum off will I be able to just put a replacement drum on. Or are there further modifications that will need to be done for a stock drum to fit on there.
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

What is "swagged"? Never heard that term.

If your drums are loose but will not come completely off, then it's usually your brakes keeping them on and you'll have to back them off. But it sounds as is something else is holding them snug, either they are screwed to the bub or are inboard hubs.
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
brian613
1977 CJ5 

my 77 had the same setup on the front. you have to remove the hubs and outer wheel bearing to get the drums off there is no other way around it.

unless your wanting to stay stock i would recommend changing to disk breaks at this time since you have to pull it all apart anyway drum brakes suck.

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
What is "swagged"? Never heard that term.

If your drums are loose but will not come completely off, then it's usually your brakes keeping them on and you'll have to back them off. But it sounds as is something else is holding them snug, either they are screwed to the bub or are inboard hubs.
Swagging is when the studs use an elongated shoulder. The drum is placed on the hub and the shoulder is flattened over the drum hole, effectively attaching the drum to the hub. This was a common assembly procedure and was used by just about all the vehicle manufactures at one time or another.
Removing the swag entails using a circular cutter with four sharp bits. This is chucked up in a drill press, the hollow portion going over the stud, and the cutters shaving the swag off when pressed down, allowing the drum to be removed from the hub.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.