Removing shackle lift, need spring lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing shackle lift, need spring lift.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Removing shackle lift, need spring lift.

Getting back into removing and changing some of the PO installed items on the ole CJ5 and am looking for some advice for the suspension. It currently has a shackle lift and body lift running 32" tires. I really would like to get to a 2.5" spring lift, swap out to wider 2.5" springs on the front then do a shackle reversal. Is there someone that has done this and can provide me with a parts list. I am hoping this is a 'no welding required solution'.

Any ideas and help is definitely appreciated!

Unread 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

The only fully bolt-on SRS on the market is the one by Full-Traction...I have this one on my CJ-7. It will give you a 2" lift up front and can be used with CJ or YJ springs simply by changing one set of bushings in the CJ springs. The rest of that spring conversion will just be a new pair of spring plates. Spring choice is your call based on budget and desired ride quality...you get what you pay for there. If you use the Full-Traction SRS, then you'll need taller springs in the back than what you use up front. For example, on mine I have RE XD 4.5" springs in the back and tweaked Pro-Comp (not the best springs, but they're tolerable up front) 2.5" YJ springs up front (I run 35's).
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

According to Full Traction, it provides for a 2" lift when installed... if I am looking for a 2- 2.5 lift then I can just grab a set of replacement OEM YJ springs to complete the set up with YJ plates? or a mild 1" lift YJ spring?

Thanks JeepSkate! Excellent info!
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Heads or Tails?!?!

There is a Wrangler leaf spring conversion on Quadratec

R04-43000U - Wrangler Leaf Spring Conversion Kit for 76-86 Jeep® CJ with AMC Model 20 Rear Axle - Quadratec

and I can add a YJ spring lift to this....

Or do the Full Traction reverse set up and still throw on some YJ springs...

Is this over doing it, by doing a YJ and a reversal set up like the Full Traction? I am really looking to keep the Jeep tamer than most... DD with a few rides in the woods ( forest roads ) with camping gear and perhaps even pulling ATVs on a trailer. I need it to be stable at highway speeds but capable to cross a creek.
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

The Full-Traction kit comes with lift shackles for the rear which are actually too short to match up with the front...toss 'em (which is what I ended up doing...well, I sold them actually) and run a taller spring in the back with a stock spring in the front. A note on the SRS, you will more than likely need to have your front driveshaft modified or buy a new one...it now needs more travel on the compression stroke. So that may factor into your decision.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.