Removing heater blower motor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing heater blower motor?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Removing heater blower motor?

Hey everyone, I don't remember exactly what it looks like under there, but I remember not knowing how to get the blower motor out of the vehicle. Is it behind the heater box?

When I upgraded to a mojave, I actually cut the heater box away because 1) I am impatient and a maniac at times and 2) if I remember correctly it was bolted from the firewall forward into the cab?

How do I get that motor out without destroying something?

Thanks!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There are 4 nuts on the engine side of the firewall you have to remove. The first one is dead center behind the valve cover.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Bah, I hate that damn valve cover! ;p

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
Unread 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
Bah, I hate that damn valve cover! ;p
You are going to hate it worse if you bump it when trying to get that nut off.... I used a box end wrench on it if I remember right.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Factory blower fan is bolted to back of heater box. You have to remove heater box to get at the fan.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I figured as much, how do you "properly" get the box out? Like I say I cut huge chunks of mine off to fit the mojave in there. Wasn't my first choice as an approach but patience wore thin I guess.. was a while back.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Unread 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Mike, PM me your email and I will send you a nice little .pdf
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Mike, PM me your email and I will send you a nice little .pdf
Bard, will you send it to me also ? Thanks.
I have all the firewall nuts removed and the heater core/motor case seems loose but is retained to the upper section, the fresh air/defrost duct work. I can not seem to find where to unmount that box. It does not seem to want to separate from the heater core box.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
Bard, will you send it to me also ? Thanks.
I have all the firewall nuts removed and the heater core/motor case seems loose but is retained to the upper section, the fresh air/defrost duct work. I can not seem to find where to unmount that box. It does not seem to want to separate from the heater core box.
The fresh air box is held in by four phillips screws under the fresh air intake grill.
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
The fresh air box is held in by four phillips screws under the fresh air intake grill.
Yeah, I found that the hard way. I pulled the grill off and still couldnt find any screw. Mine were buried in some type of sealer the PO used to seal the duct. Or maybe it was the factory, it's hard to tell sometimes.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
hdroadkingc
1985 CJ7 

If you need a heater box PM me. I have a used one I need to get rid of.
hdroadkingc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Notes of interest. It has been mentioned here that the hole in the new motor housing is a drain and also it has been mentioned that it is for cooling. The story I get is that it is for cooling and that it is an intake port. An ell shaped hose is supposed to come out of the airflow duct work and into the housing. Just covering the hole may not be a good idea from the lifetime span perspective. Also, the common perception seems to be to use a blower motor from an 83 Blazer/Pick Up with A/C. The shaft is too long on the A/C model. You will need the non A/C blower motor.
Other questions. What has everybody been using to fabricate a new weather stripping pad as fond on the back of the CJ heater motor housing? I was looking for sheet material but could only find rolls of weather stripping. I have thought about carpet padding and even styrofoam.
Also, what have any done for a new seal between the heater box and the fresh air box? I would hate to have to order and wait for one.
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Oily,
Just a though on the "gasket", how about sheet rubber. maybe something cloth impregnated that you can cut and punch holes in.
Keep us updated...this was my 2nd winter i "forgot" to do my blower motor upgrade.....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
Oily,
Just a though on the "gasket", how about sheet rubber.
I found some at a local (not chain) hardware store. I would need at least six thicknesses at $2.19 a piece. I can get it in thicker batches at work for free but would still need multi layers.
I just got back from a carpet store. They had piles of leftover/used stuff. It comes in different grades. Some you can blow through and some plastic backed. I think it is the solution and will even work to seal the two units.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.