Removing front grill assy. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing front grill assy.

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
crawdad
1984 CJ7 

Removing front grill assy.

I'm getting ready to replace the timing gears and chain and to put that bolt with a spring in the cam, hoping to eliminate that knocking in the front of the engine. Anyways, can someone please tell me what I have to do to remove the front grill assembly. I'm thinking it would be an easier job with that removed. Thanks

Unread 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
dwloop
1976 CJ5 

Don't have to remove it for just the cover and chain. I pulled the front cover on the CJ5 twice in one week (don't ask!! ) without removing the grille. I had to unbolt the fenders and support rods and let the grille swing forword to remove the cam though. To remove the front cover, it sure would have been easier without it there I'm sure.

Remove the headlights to unplug the wiring and then remove the harness from in front of the grille. Unbolt the fenders at the front, three bolts on each side. Loosen the support rods and slip them out of the 'U' brackets. Remove the center body support bolt under the fornt and lift it out. Probably missed something that someone else will catch...

Dave
dwloop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

1. Drain radiator.
2. Remove radiator hoses.
3. Remove headlight and turn signal assemblys.
4. Unscrew wiring harness grounds.
5. Pull wiring harness' through sides of grill and out the back.
6. Remove bolt holding bottom center of grill to frame. May need PB blaster.
7. Remove radiator to frame supports.
8. Remove fender to radiator bolts.
9. Losen front nut on both of the struts running from the top of the grill to the firewall.
10. Hold on to grill assembly and push struts to the side and lift out grill assembly.

Did I miss anything fellas?

EDIT: Sorry Dave - didn't see your post and I type too slow.

Last edited by PhatBasturd; 05-07-2008 at 09:58 PM..
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I took my harness loose at the firewall plug instead of unplugging everything. Just remove the center bolt and unplug. I was removing the whole front clip though. Left the fenders bolted to the grill and removed together.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Beer man
1983 CJ7 

After just going thru this a couple weeks ago, let me add that I will be putting a six pin plug in the harness near the horn so that next time I can just unplug it and take the grill off without the extra work.
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer man View Post
...I will be putting a six pin plug in the harness near the horn so that next time I can just unplug it and take the grill off without the extra work.

Buy the Beer Man a beer. Good idea.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
UncleVen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

removing shroud

I am wanting to removed the Radiator shroud from a CJ Grille- there doesnt seem to be any bolts or clips that can be undone- any clue how to separate them other than a hammer?

I only need the Grille- not the shroud
UncleVen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleVen
I am wanting to removed the Radiator shroud from a CJ Grille- there doesnt seem to be any bolts or clips that can be undone- any clue how to separate them other than a hammer?

I only need the Grille- not the shroud
There should be 4 bolts holding it and the radiator to the grill? 2 on each side, 1 top, 1 bottom?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

with the radiator out, leave the grill

your going to have more than enough room for the balancer puller and an impact to break the bolt loose and possibly pull the balancer back into place using the bolt when you put it all back together. just a hint, dont over tighten the 4 bolts from the pan to the cover, you will simply squeeze/distort the lower gasket and ruin it. also dont tighten any bolts till all front and bottom bolts are installed. install the fronts and pull the cover in til you can easily start the bottoms. are you sure you have a chain tensioner and not simply a plastic guide that slips onto two metal tabs on the cover. i replaced the chain/sprockets but could not source the guide so back together it went without it and no ill effects.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.