Removing excess wiring after nutter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing excess wiring after nutter?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Removing excess wiring after nutter?

Hey everyone, I've been reading a lot about what can and can't come out for wiring after doing the nutter.. and I'm hoping someone here can clarify for me before I go cutting wires?

I did the nutter a while back, and it's run great since then. I'm also running a manual choke so I don't need the wiring for the electronic choke either.

Now from what I've gathered thus far, is basically that entire cluster of cables that comes out of the firewall (from the computer), that leads over to near the battery (where the diagnostic tools plug into), can all be taken out? I also read that the only one I might need out of that cluster is the red/white one which controls the electronic choke, but like I say.. I went manual.. so that's gone too, correct?

As of I believe September, my CJ7 is free and clear from all emissions tests here on out, it's visual/safety only. Visual I'm not worried *wink* I'm sure you guys know all about that.

So can all those wires really come out? I planned on taking out one at a time while the engine was running, just in case something went weird when I cut one.. sound like a good plan? Sorry for the rambling post... just nervous about ripping out 2 miles worth of wiring! Thanks again you guys.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Nope, just cut them all to hell and back and then just pull them out. When I cut my wires anything that ran into the computer box was pulled. I did have to go back and wire my electric choke, and I think the backup lights piggy-back off that wire so when I fixed my electric choke it fixed those as well. I wouldn't worry about leaving it plugged in while cutting the wires. I don't think any of those will actually effect the engine as long as you have it wired to the distributor/ignition module correctly.
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Ah nice, good to hear. While I'm not a very big fan of electric work, I should be able to easily figure out the tail lights.

I've already actually completely removed the computer from the vehicle and patched the big hole it left in the firewall, so I'm confident that the distributor and ignition module is wired correct. I just can't wait to get rid of all that damn useless clutter now.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Yes, it's amazing getting all that stuff out. When I first bought my CJ and began working on her, I always saw pictures of clean engine bays and never though mine would be like that. So here I am today with all those electrical wires and vacuum lines unplugged and torn out!
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
xj89

its pretty easy that big 6 plug connecter, unplug it and the computer side of it just take it all out, almost no cutting. disconnect computer, to run the back up lights is pretty strait forward. in the 6 plug connecter still on the wiring harness your using, there should be a red wire. splice into that wire and run a wire to the red wire going down the firewall towards the back of the trans itl be with an orange wire and a beleive a white one maybe grey to.
xj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.