Removing the Dash Mounted Ignition Switch -1975 CJ-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing the Dash Mounted Ignition Switch -1975 CJ-5

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
10charlie
1975 CJ5 

Removing the Dash Mounted Ignition Switch -1975 CJ-5

I recently purchased a 1975 CJ-5 that only has 58K miles,but has spent its life as a farm jeep. The engine runs fine and the running gear is in okay shape. However, there are numerous little issues with this Jeep. The biggest issue is the ignition switch is mounted in the dash and turns in the dash. I am looking to remove the key switch to figure out how to keep it from turning when I try to start the Jeep. There is a collar that reads Starter on the dash side of the keyswitch and a large spring on the firewall side that seems to be designed to hold the switch in place. How do I remove the switch to fabricate something to keep the switch from turning. I tried the compress the spring and turn the collar Counter-Clockwise method suggested in a post after a google search. Any Ideas?

10charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

This is what you should have. You can see the detent behind the spring. Looks like you had the right idea. Compress the switch from the back toward the dash and turn the collar on the outside counter-clockwise. Should work.
_57.jpg  
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Press harder. I replaced mine, and its seems my original would turn some when cranking. The replacement holds firmly. The problem is probably 39 years of setting and growing a little rust since its hard to compress, yet the spring is weaker causing the turning. I found a replacement just like original on eBay. These are Briggs Stratton switches.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
10charlie
1975 CJ5 

Thanks

Thank You Both, now that I can see how it is assembled it looks pretty easy change.
10charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
colodean

I had to replace the switch on my '74 because it did not have the bezel to hold it in the dash. Didn't need the switch but was the only way to get the bezel. Now I have a spare. Napa had it for around $25. ECH KS6599 was the part number I believe
colodean is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.