Removing ball joints for knuckle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing ball joints for knuckle swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Removing ball joints for knuckle swap

Do I need a BJ press, or can I use one of them fork things and a BFH they have at one of the stores?

I got the old D44 stripped down to the knuckles and need to pull them to put on the flattops from the Chevy axle.

Also, doing a hodgepodge of parts.

Waggy 44, Chevy flatops and spindles, and outers. To make everything fit with the Ford rotors and hubs, do I need to get anything machined?

Thanks,
Blair

Unread 06-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
famicom21

Rent a fork thingy from auto zone for free, then use that to pry the steering knuckle off of the axle end. Then use a bench vise and a big *** hammer, along with a propane torch and some free-all, to remove the ball joints from the steering knuckle.
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

an air hammer works best!
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
junglejeep

Ball Joints

At this point I would buy new ball joints since you've got the axle torn down this far. Take your Chevy Flat tops to smoewhere like Napa and they can press them in for you.

They're not real expensive and you'll save time over replaceing old ball joints 6 months down the road when the old ones wear out.
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the replys. I plan on replacing them for sure, and I don't need these knuckles for anything anyhow.

If I can get them off the axle, then I'll be set.

Couldn't I just use the nuts to draw them up into the knuckle? Instead of getting them pressed?
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You should be able to knock the knuckles off via a BFH on the upper ball joints (remove the nut on the lower joint, loosen the upper nut until it's flush with the top of the stud). You will need a press to put the new ball joints in the 'new' knuckles...just take 'em to NAPA or wherever and have them press them in or rent/buy a ball joint/u-joint service kit (should be able to buy for around $50 or so) and press them in yourself.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
rustyCJ

wow, you need to do a lot more research

only reason to go flat top is if you intend on going hysteer, did you machine the top of the knuckles?

here is some good info including how to remove/install D44 knuckles/ball joints;

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Mr.N44.htm
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Did a bunch of research. Just never taken a axle apart, maybe the questions reflect a newb build?

I have both sites bookmarked from previous trolling of info, thanks.

I'm going high steer, I was SOA on the stock CJ axles. I bent the piss out of my draglink and tierod, so when swapping axles, seemed appropriate to do high steer while down.

No I haven't machined the knuckles yet, they are still attached to the Chevy axle I'm robbing them from.

I'm just trying to get the Waggy44 stripped completely, then I can start putting it all back together.

Thanks for the heads up, I have a folder in my favorites with close to 100 links saved, the keylime site is a good one. Just hard to remember what is what when you've read it all and never done it yourself.

This is a good one for some of the other details:

http://www.jeepgod.net/d44625.html

I'll get them pressed over at Napa,

Thanks
Blair
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You need to get the knuckles machined *before* you have the ball joints pressed into them.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.