Removing axles from D44 with Powr Lok - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removing axles from D44 with Powr Lok

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
PaulS
1949 CJ3A 

Removing axles from D44 with Powr Lok

I've removed the axle shafts from my D41, and it was a matter of just removing the six bolts on the end flange, and everything (shaft, bearing/race, grease retainer, etc.) just slid right out.

But now I'm trying to do the same on my D44 with Powr Lok, and the shaft isn't coming out. Is there something that has to be done in the differential to release the shaft, or do I just need to pull harder?

Thanks,

-Paul

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Make sure there is not a "C" clip hold'n the axle to the carrier.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Put the brake drum on backwards, evenly thread a few lug nuts on and use the drum like a slide hammer
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
PaulS
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Make sure there is not a "C" clip hold'n the axle to the carrier.
Would a clip like that be easily visible? Where should I look? I can't see anything...

The brake drum as a slide hammer didn't do anything, either.

-Paul
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
CSP

There aren't C-clips on the Dana 44, regardless of what the carrier is. Turn a brake drum around, slide it onto the lug and attach a few lugs loosely. Use the drum like a slide hammer.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Would a clip like that be easily visible? Where should I look? I can't see anything...

The brake drum as a slide hammer didn't do anything, either.

-Paul
You will have to rent or borrow an axle shaft puller. It's a big 20 lb slide hammer with a bolt on flange. Are you sure all of the axle shaft retainer nuts off? There could be up to six of them. They are behind the axle flange and also hold on the brake backing plate.

No Dana 44 I have ever seen had C-clips but I can't speak for 44's on the current generation Jeeps.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.