Removed Rear Pinion Nut Now What? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removed Rear Pinion Nut Now What?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Jeep256

Removed Rear Pinion Nut Now What?

I bought a new pinion seal for my leaking rear AMC 20 and I already disconnected the driveshaft and removed the pinion nut.

My question is what now? 1st of all it was kinda dark when I finally got the pinion nut off. But do I have to take the yoke off to get to the pinion seal. How does that come out. Do I need any special tool. I know the threads I have looked up seem to suggest the pinion nut comes off you replace the seal and your done. But I am stuck here. And also should I go out and buy that in/pd torque wrench before I put the new nut back on. I didn't do anything special to break it off.

Thanks

Jeep256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Sodbuster

You should be able to take a hammer, preferrably dead blow or brass, and tap the yoke out. Pry out the pinion seal and replace with new seal. Be sure to lubricate the rubber before you install.

Tighten the yoke nut slowly. The goal is to get all of the free play out of the pinion bearings. When you will feel a slight drag on the yoke without any side to side or end play at all - stop. Reattach drive shaft.
Sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
geojeeper

I responded to your other thread also, then saw this one. If you have an AMC 20 I think you should really replace the crush sleeve when you put the yoke back on. Otherwise you are just guessing at the amount of preload on the pinion bearings.
geojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Gator

Sodbuster is correct,
you dont have to put a new crush sleeve in to get the Preload reset, to do that you'll have to pull the entire assembly apart,press off bearings on the pinion & repress back on.

once new seal is in, < if you have air tools> hold yoke in one hand, tighten the yoke up till it feels tight then back off a little.
if no air tools, tighten the pinion like Sodbuster mentioned & you should be good to go.
when i do them, usually i'll go1 flat on the nut further once the all the side to side movement is out.

no special tools require to get old seal out.. just a screwdriver & a hammer.. altho a seal pull makes it easier, old school ways never fails
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2004, 06:21 AM   #5
Jeep256

Thanks this Board is such an ASSET for all Jeep Owners
Jeep256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
CJ-5

Yup

Totally agree to that. KUDOS
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.