Removed brake booster/MC and now putting it back in - anything special I need to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Removed brake booster/MC and now putting it back in - anything special I need to do?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
sevensandeights

Removed brake booster/MC and now putting it back in - anything special I need to do?

I am in the process of building 2 CJ8's out of 3 donors. One will be a bare bones plow Jeep and the other will be a full restomod.

I took the brake booster and master cylinder out of one of the donors and put it on a shelf in my garage for a year. I am now putting it back in the plow jeep (same chassis that the brake set-up came from but different body tub). Is there anything special I need to do? Do I need to bench bleed? If so, any tips?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
sevensandeights

OK - did some research after I posted my question. Looks like I will have to bleed my MC cylinder. Unfortunately, it's already installed in the Jeep. Has anyone used one the syringe type tools to bleed the MC rather than the pieces of rubber tubing and fittings?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...kit#fragment-3
sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Luke83CJ8
1983 CJ8 

You don't have to bench bleed the master cylinder if fluid was kept in the resevoir. On new MC's bench bleeding is to get the air out of the piston below the resevoirs.

However if it wasnt stored with fluid in it and you already installed it you should be able to just bleed the brakes as you normally would (LR, RR, RF, LF) ensuring that there are no air bubbles in the the lines before you are finished.
Luke83CJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
OK - did some research after I posted my question. Looks like I will have to bleed my MC cylinder. Unfortunately, it's already installed in the Jeep. Has anyone used one the syringe type tools to bleed the MC rather than the pieces of rubber tubing and fittings?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...kit#fragment-3
You can bleed the MC while it's on the the Jeep (obviously the brake lines need to be disconnected at the time). Haven't seen that type of bleeder tool before, but I can see how it might work better than the normal recycle tubes. Be sure to report back about how it works if you use it.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.