Remove body lift??? Please help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Remove body lift??? Please help...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
kdog806
1986 CJ7 

Remove body lift??? Please help...

I have an 86' CJ7. I recently purchased it and it is my first jeep.

It has 35" tires and the prior owner told me it has a 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. The suspension lift appears to be 4" and I believe it has 1" lift shackles as well.

The body lift has 2" tall body mounts. Is this a 2" lift or a 1" lift. I am new to this but it would make more sense to me if 2" body mounts were actually a 1" lift.

I am contemplating dropping the body down 1" (either removing the lift and going back to standard mounts or go to a 1" lift..depending on the responses to the question above).

So the second question, do you think I will still have enough clearance to drop the body 1"? The main reason I want to drop it is so that the jeep will fit in my garage with the hardtop on....currently there is only about 1/2" clearance between the roll cage and the header of my garage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

kdog806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Can you take a close-up pic of the mount? Who knows what the PO meant.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
kdog806
1986 CJ7 

Yes...I will get some better pics and post them tomorrow. Thanks in advance for you help!!
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

buy stock length shackles and get rid of the 1" shackles you have now, a lot easier than removing the body lift and on top of that you will have a nicer ride.
rainjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Also step down to 33" tires.. Having those 35" tires looks like you might run into clearance issues with the rear there.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
kdog806
1986 CJ7 

Here are some better pics of the suspension and body lift. I appreciate the advice thus far....

I have contemplated going to 33" tires, however the tires on it are in really good shape and I am starting to lean towards keeping them, however I also realize it may be best to swap them out to best accomplish my goals (lower the overall height by approx 1" and still maintain decent clearance for wheelin.

Take a look and let me know what you all think....And thanks again for the help!!

Unread 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
kdog806
1986 CJ7 

I should also add....I am planning on other upgrades to the drivetrain. I have another dana 30 front diff that i will be installing (warn hubs, trutrac locker, upgraded axles w/ 4.56 gears) and detroit locker w/ 4.56 gears in the rear dana 44. Also will be upgrading the tie rod and drag link to a heavy duty setup.
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

looks like a 1" LIFT on the body. (1" over stock height mounts)

here's mine

if your gonna do a new tie rod and drag link, look into a flip kit for them while your at it.

looks like you have a HD steering box bracket too...great! might want to look into a brace too.

i'll let others advise on this too- but your ubolts look long and might want to be trimmed to keep from hanging up on obsticles.

what else can i spend your money on?! lol!

good lookin Jeep!! Im jealous of the BDS suspension lift!
keep us updated with pics as you go for sure!

edit: disregard the HD bracket comment. it was the shackle i was seeing.
hey look, I found something else to spend your money on!!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
MoC
1986 CJ7 

x2 on the 1" Daystar body lift.
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
kdog806
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate all I can get
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The 4.56 are doable with 35" tyres but they would be more comfortable in everyday use combined with 33" tyres, possibly 34". This will put the top gear engine speed at highway speed in the right ballpark for fuel economy and acceleration.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #12
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Why not just air down the tires when you have the hard top on. If you like the way it is then have a compressor handy to air back up when you back out of the garage.air bleeder valve caps would be all you would need.

If you are going to do something like lower the Jeep then you can cut the body mounts and get shorter bolts to replace the long ones.a bandsaw will work good if you don't have one then a hacksaw will work,just will take longer.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.