JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Remove automatic gear selector on Column? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/remove-automatic-gear-selector-column-1678849/)

chucker2 10-13-2013 06:33 AM

Remove automatic gear selector on Column?

Can i remove the automatic gear selector on the column? I found a tilt columns and its nice but is an automatic, but my jeep is a manual.

im restoring an 81 cj7.

my 1st post, thanks chucker2

chucker2 10-14-2013 03:52 AM

help anyone, I am a new member, and ive stumped everyone with my very 1st question. wow.

Do i win an award?

chuck

243 10-14-2013 04:45 AM

You can remove it but I think there will be a couple of holes in the housing.

CSP 10-14-2013 07:38 AM

I wouldn't say you've stumped anyone. You asked your question on a Sunday morning, a day where people are enjoying their weekends.

I posted a link in the last couple of weeks how to do this. I could go search (hint, hint) for the post, but then again, I don't really need to find it for myself.

lucdog 10-14-2013 08:13 AM

You didn't say if you just want to remove the shift lever, or the entire assembly, To include the lighted indicator.

B

wm69 10-14-2013 01:43 PM

I would pass and get a standard column. I have an automatic column that was "coverted" by removing the shift indicator and the shift lever, and while it was ok, it still was obviously an automatic column.

chucker2 10-16-2013 04:20 AM

Ok, thanks. I just thought you could replace the "covers" with manual covers to eliminate the shifter mount point, etc.

guess ill wait on a manual tilt coumn.

thanks chucker2

wm69 10-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucker2 (Post 16878497)
Ok, thanks. I just thought you could replace the "covers" with manual covers to eliminate the shifter mount point, etc.

guess ill wait on a manual tilt coumn.

thanks chucker2

Well, finding covers for a tilt column will be unpossible. I had an 83 Laredo with tilt that someone had tried to steal. I looked for column repair parts and quickly realized that parts just weren't available. I'm sure you could find them if you looked long enough, but at what price?

Find a manual tilt column, buy it, sell your automatic tilt column to try to recoup some of your money.

ETA, just saw you haven't bought the automatic column yet. I would pass unless it's very cheap ($100-down)

Gigemags05 10-16-2013 10:40 AM

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get the gear selector cover? My automatic jeep doesn't have one, and the wife is never confident she is in the right gear when driving.

It has the light still, but no indicator.

I've searched google to no avail. Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with? Non tilt.

CSP 10-16-2013 11:33 AM

You can find the covers and they are swappable between auto and manual columns. ANY 70s or 80s GM vehicle has the same basic column as a CJ.

Gigemags05 10-16-2013 12:32 PM

Is that something I will have to find at a junk yard? Or do you know of a place that makes aftermarket ones?

None of the junk yards around here are very helpful.

CSP 10-16-2013 01:52 PM

The junkyard is where I would get a column from and take the parts from it. Find a junkyard where you pull your own parts instead of relying on a counterman to tell you what you need (which they won't do).

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I posted a link within the last couple of weeks on how to do this job. I'm not going to go searchng for it myself as anyone who really wants to know is just as capable of clicking on that search button as I am.

Gigemags05 10-16-2013 02:02 PM

Not really interested yet in how you did it, just wondering if you knew how to get ahold of the part. If I ever get ahold of the part I'll look for your thread, although a quick look using the search function yielded no results.

JeepinEng 10-16-2013 08:44 PM

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but I'd suggest that if you're not doing a "concours" restoration and don't mind a little bit of extra character for your Jeep run what ya got with the auto tilt column!

This is what I'm doing with my 79 CJ7. Wanted tilt and bought a used good condition one off ebay for a good price that already had the auto lever removed (looks like knocking out the roll pin is all you have to do to take off the lever). Mine didn't have the lighted gear indicator on it when I got it. I figure a small retangular piece of fabricated plastic, some adhesive to mount/seal it over the old hole, and a couple of small screws through it that mounted the gear indicator down should seal up the opening. Lock permanently into park where the auto trans linkage hooks up at the bottom of the column (few different ways to do this), and you should be set.

I know it sounds like a little bit of work, but it should only take up to a few hours time fix everything up.

The time now is 04:40 AM.