Relocating to Houston area - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Relocating to Houston area

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
1983 CJ7 

My commute was 32 miles across Houston one way, 1.5 hours minimum, 1.75 hours if there was any issue like a flat tire on the side of the road, police activity at a roadside business or a fender bender on the freeway. A major wreck (non fatality) would make my 32 mile ride 2-2.5 hours.

The Beltway comes to a standstill at multiple points between 45S and 59S and I expect more backups going past I10 on the way to 290.

The fastest commute would be leaving Seabrook before 6:00 AM and getting to downtown before 6:30.

33 years in Houston with 30 of those on the road, before I left a few years ago, my average mileage was 500 miles not including weekends the last five years.

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

any reason you are moving to the Seabrook area? Thats a CRAZY long commute... I work near BW8 and 290 and my commute is 8 miles and that takes close to 30 minutes!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
keitht
1978 CJ7 

I will only have to go to the office 1 or 2 times a week probably. The rest of the week I will be driving all over the Houston and surounding areas. I will be doing a lot of driving but it will be in a company vehicle.
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

I am in the Richmond area (SW Houston).

I commute to Columbus daily (60 miles one way, 1 hour drive).

I used to live in Cypress (Hwy 290/Spring Cypress) and work in the medical center. It would take over 2 hours to get home at times. The medical center is only 1/2 way to seabrook, so you could be looking at a 2 - 3 hour commute if traffic is bad. more likely the commute would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours. No fun at all. Also keep in mind that the seabrook area is subject to massive floods. Most of that area is still recovering from Ike.

If you love the "sea life" then seabrook would be great.

Me I like land and my next move will be towards Sealy.

290/BW8 area? You don't work for Johnson Controls do you?
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
keitht
1978 CJ7 

No I dont but wouldnt mind working for Johnson I have done building controls in the past. May have to drop off a resume there
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
1983 CJ7 

Katy/Sealy is in my opinion the best location in Houston right now. After a massive renovation of I10 West you can run like a scalded cat. I will give fair warning about 288S, it sucked horribly way back in '03, with Pearland and the rest of the south side growing it is probably the worst freeway to be on going inbound.

I lived in Clear Lake, had an office in the Galleria and projects in Baytown, Port Arthur, Beaumont and Sugar Land before I fled. I hate the city but a guy can find or do just about anything 24/7. My primary reason for fleeing was I wanted my daughters out of the city. Bad >>> traffic, crime, humidity....the rest is not bad for a huge city.

And don't be fooled, an old CJ will be a theft, vandalism and burglary target like no other.
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
keitht
1978 CJ7 

I understand what you are saying about 288. About 5 years ago I lived in Alvin and used 288 everyday for 7 years. But just to the beltway then took it to the 290 area. If the job market was better here in South Carolina I would stay here. But for what I do, commercial fire alarm, security systems, access control, CCTV and building automation(Temp control) Houston has a lot more to offer.
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
And don't be fooled, an old CJ will be a theft, vandalism and burglary target like no other.
you aren't kidding. I've been followed in my CJ once before, I stopped at a mall and called the security guy in the little golf cart over before they took off, but it was some ratty toyota.

I keep my CJ in the garage so no one can see it thankfully, but if I ever drive it, I NEVER leave it out of sight. I guess it doesn't help that its bright orange

btw, kickingprop, I still need to come see your CJ one day
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
But for what I do, commercial fire alarm, security systems, access control, CCTV and building automation(Temp control) Houston has a lot more to offer.
Good luck with that. I am in commercial construction, and the projects are few and far between right now. There is 0 profit in jobs right now. And when I say 0 profit I don't mean we are making very little money, I mean we are making no money, just covering expenses if we are lucky. The residential market tanked about two years ago, and it appears the commercial market is getting very dry right now.

Houston might have more to offer than other cities, but it does not have much to offer right now.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
keitht
1978 CJ7 

I will be on the service end. Won't be depending on new construction. Will work off of existing service contracts. And every public building has to have a fire alarm system working and inspected every year.
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
blownsvtlightni
1981 CJ7 

I live in Houston (30+ years) and I am a licensed state inspector. what specifically are you trying to find out. FYI after 24 years, your jeep requires a saftey only inspection.. Also I live just a few miles from Seabrook, you will like the area I think..

Reverse lights are not required for the state inspection, The cats, if they were OE on your jeep will be required. Your Jeep will be subject to an ASM or 2 speed idle inspection, where it goes on the dyno and takes an emissions reading, or we shove a pobe up it's exhaust and measure it at idle, depending on if it is all time 4wd or not. yours will most likely get the ASM dyno test.

I take 288 in to work, every day, I work in Meyerland, it takes me 40 min to get from my house to Meyerland, so it's not that bad. The worst freeway in the city is 290, hand down... I have never had an attempt on the jeep, though I do get at least 10 people a week knocking on my door wanting to buy it when it is outside

Last edited by blownsvtlightni; 01-09-2010 at 07:15 PM..
blownsvtlightni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
1983 CJ7 

If it is a safety only inspection, why are saying you have to perform an emission test?

It is visual only after 24 years.
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #28
blownsvtlightni
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
If it is a safety only inspection, why are you emission testing vehicles older than 25 years?
we don't.. I read the date of his jeep wrong in his post. I though it as an 86. either way he still doesn't have to have reverse lights :P
blownsvtlightni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #29
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post

290/BW8 area? You don't work for Johnson Controls do you?

Nope I work for Cameron
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
keitht
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for all the information guys. It looks like I will just have to install cats and I will be good to go. Oh and the horn. Will a button on the dash or center console for the horn pass inspection?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.