Relocating to Houston area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Relocating to Houston area

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
keitht
1978 CJ7 

Relocating to Houston area

I hope to soon be relocating to the Houston Texas area. The question I have is what problems will I encounter geting my daily driver 78 cj 7 licensed and regestered there. looks like I will be moving to Harris county, Seabrook area. I am running a 4 inch lift and 33's, exhaust exits out the back and turns down, no catt's and right now no backup lights. I installed round led tail lights. Any Houston area jeepers here that can give me some information?

Unread 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Well I just moved here a few months ago and have decided to keep my jeep tagged in Oklahoma for the time being. You will have to have the reverse lights working. If your 78 came with a cat it'll have to have one on it now. Thats all i can tell you for now. I'll find out more when mine hits the 25yr mark and becomes emissions exempt.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
TRex

1979 CJ7 

For what it's worth...
When I received my '79 CJ7, it was registerd (not emissions inspected) and had headers, no cats, Flowmasters and duals dumped in front of the rear wheels. There was no horn and it was dripping every imaginable fluid.
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Interesting. I could ask my Mom or her bf in the Dallas area if you have specifics or anything.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

you can get it passed so long as you can find a place (or ask around on HoustonJeepForum.com or CypressOffRoad.com or something as to where a "friendly" inspection place is... I just havent tried to find such a place yet
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
misplacetexan
1983 CJ5 

I live in Baytown, Harris County. My 83 CJ5, just has to pass the safety inspection. Lights, horn, brakes, good tires, and wipers. Cars that are 25 years or older, are only required to pass the safety test. My jeep has no cat or any emmission stuff under the hood.
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Should just be safety inspection as yours is 25 years or older so no emissions test. Lights, horn, brakes, wipers etc.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

Texas Department of Public Safety - What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

That's correct for Texas. I have an '81 CJ7 and it's exempt from emissions testing in this state since it's older than 25 years. Not sure if Harris County has tougher local laws on emissions though since it's a major metro area. I live in South Texas and we don't have any local emissions. You should be OK. Just check with some local Jeep Junkies as originally suggested.
caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
keitht
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for responding everyone I should be ok after I get the backup lights and horn working. It is my daily driver, and I actually plan to drive it from South Carolina to Houston.....its only 1009 miles!
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

I just went through this process when I bought my scrambler from a couple in Arizona.

No emissions test is required, but an emissions inspection is required. You are supposed to have all factory emissions equipment installed technically. That being said, my '82 has a 232 from an AMC spirit with no cat. You might have to fix the reverse lights, but I doubt the inspector will check.

Your process will be as follows:

1.) must have minimum liabilty insurance on vehicle being inspected
2.) Get vehicle inspected at any autorized inspection station (almost all auto repair facilities, tire shops, oil change shops, etc.. are inspection stations). I would recomend a small auto repair facility as they seem to be the most reasonable on passing vehicles. The inspection only locations seem to be the most critical.
3.) Get a VI-30 or "green sheet" from the inspection facility.
4.) Take the green sheet, and title to a local county tax office (16603 Buccaneer Ln, Houston, TX 77062).
5.) At the tax office show your proof of insurance again, fill out form VTR 130-u, give them the title and green sheet, pay taxes.
6.) They will give you your new plates and a sticker to put on the windshield next to the inspection sticker you recieved in step 2.

This is a link to the list of items that are supposed to be inspected for a vehicle to pass the safety inspection. Note that vehicles over 25 years old are not required to pass the emissions test, but still recieve a visual emissions inspection.

ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post
I just went through this process when I bought my scrambler from a couple in Arizona.

No emissions test is required, but an emissions inspection is required. You are supposed to have all factory emissions equipment installed technically. That being said, my '82 has a 232 from an AMC spirit with no cat. You might have to fix the reverse lights, but I doubt the inspector will check.

Your process will be as follows:

1.) must have minimum liabilty insurance on vehicle being inspected
2.) Get vehicle inspected at any autorized inspection station (almost all auto repair facilities, tire shops, oil change shops, etc.. are inspection stations). I would recomend a small auto repair facility as they seem to be the most reasonable on passing vehicles. The inspection only locations seem to be the most critical.
3.) Get a VI-30 or "green sheet" from the inspection facility.
4.) Take the green sheet, and title to a local county tax office (16603 Buccaneer Ln, Houston, TX 77062).
5.) At the tax office show your proof of insurance again, fill out form VTR 130-u, give them the title and green sheet, pay taxes.
6.) They will give you your new plates and a sticker to put on the windshield next to the inspection sticker you recieved in step 2.

This is a link to the list of items that are supposed to be inspected for a vehicle to pass the safety inspection. Note that vehicles over 25 years old are not required to pass the emissions test, but still recieve a visual emissions inspection.

Excellent answer That is deffiently aThumbs Up answer
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
hogbed
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You be more likely to get your Jeep stolen than have it not pass the inspection process. BE CAREFUL. Mexico is a short drive away.
hogbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogbed View Post
You be more likely to get your Jeep stolen than have it not pass the inspection process. BE CAREFUL. Mexico is a short drive away.
They seem to steel Ford Superduty trucks the most. I don't think they really care about old worthless CJs. I think they like the value of the superduty trucks and they can hold a bunch of crud in the bed while they cross the border.

The most common path is Houston to San Antonio to Eagle Pass. For some reason it is easy to get a stolen vehicle across the border near Eagle Pass.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
1983 CJ7 

^^^ looks like ag4ever is hanging out in the Clear Lake. That area was beautiful between the late 80's and early 90's...went downhill fast when many of the apartments went Section 8.
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
keitht
1978 CJ7 

I will be moving to the Seabrook area. Work will be on the oposite side of town Beltway 8 and 290 area. But a company van and easy tag for the beltway will make that 58 mile drive bearable.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.