Regrets of going with AMC 8 cyl? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Regrets of going with AMC 8 cyl?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-27-2001, 10:08 PM   #16
401cj5

I hate to be so noncommittal but I think it depends on what you are after. If you want to be philosophical about it one day probably we will all be driving with Chevy 350 in our Jeeps. That will be all that is left when all the AMC's are gone.

Anyway, without getting too deep, I would not go with a non-AMC engine in my Jeep. My reasoning is that as long as my Jeep will go/do anything yours will, at a speed I am comfortable with, then I am staying AMC. I can remember looking for a Jeep in the beginning of my first Jeep fever and I would not even go look at one that was non-AMC. Some even go further and limit themselves in AMC 6 cylinders or other. I might be one of those if I ever buy another.

Anyway, it is late and my final thought tonight is if you are going to go to a v8 and your Jeep runs, shop for an AMC v8 of your choice, otherwise wait until it stops and if it does, and you can't do anything else, go Chevy. I would not go that route though.

Jason

4" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10

78 Wag Ltd - 360
400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit
D44's frt and rear
2.5" AAL's for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum

79 J20 - 360
T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20
D44HD frt D60 rear
3" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8
8400# weight truck

80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection
727 Trans+ 208
D44 frt Model 20 rear
4" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10[/COLOR]
401cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:28 PM   #17
mud4me

I made up my mind!

Its gonna be a AMC 360!

I have found a donor vehicle, with a 360 that runs. I will get it rebuilt and I think I will be happy. I have always had J-10s and the older Cherokees and have never had any problems with the 360s. I even had a J-10 with a 401! I sold it many years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

If anyone is looking for a TH400 and or a Quadratrac transfer case, and differentials, I will have 1 of each for sale.
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:48 PM   #18
Bulletproofcj7

Hey ARB,
I was wondering what "bad things you've" heard about the 304?
Ive recently built a mildly beefy 304 and would like to know whats in store for me now. So far i have had no problems. (well, one but that was my own fault) It doesnt have the power of a GM 350 or larger AMC v8 but im not replacing driveline parts everytime i mash the throttle either.
It still has gobs of torque, a wide ratio between creepin over rocks in first and blasting up hill climbs etc. without having to run through the gears. and it sounds cool too. in retrospect i may have built a 350, would have been a whole lot cheaper but overall (so far)i have no complaints with the 304.
jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:32 PM   #19
SKRMBLRMAN

I just finished a 258-360 swap. It started out as a $350 drop in motor. Till you factor in a new manifold, exhaust system, flywheel(+ machining),new carb, clutch.... now it's a $3,000 drop in motor that sounds great and has all kinds of upper rpm power the six didn't have, but it bogs down big time at low rpms. Plus, now I will have to replace/upgrade everything south of the clutch to handle the additional power. I could go on...
SKRMBLRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #20
ArbLockerBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bulletproofcj7:
Hey ARB,
I was wondering what "bad things you've" heard about the 304?
Ive recently built a mildly beefy 304 and would like to know whats in store for me now. So far i have had no problems. (well, one but that was my own fault) It doesnt have the power of a GM 350 or larger AMC v8 but im not replacing driveline parts everytime i mash the throttle either.
It still has gobs of torque, a wide ratio between creepin over rocks in first and blasting up hill climbs etc. without having to run through the gears. and it sounds cool too. in retrospect i may have built a 350, would have been a whole lot cheaper but overall (so far)i have no complaints with the 304.
jason
Sorry, it's been a while since I've logged on
A lot of people seem to dog the 304 without getting specific. This only what I've heard not what I believe. I've driven a stock CJ8 with a 4bbl carb and I thought it did fine. I liked it! It had stock gears with 33" tires. But I did notice it would labor a little when I was trying to crawl up steep inclines like logs at low rpm but it did great on hills. I felt that the engine had to raise the rpm to get me up and over but it did it effortlessly but the rpms were getting to high and it made it hard to slow down on the top of the obsticle. I think it's had to be precise when the engine is running at 2200 RPMs. but like you said you can just change your gears and get a granny low 1st. The owner of the vehicle even believes his old 258 was a better wheeling engine. It's references like this that make me nervous about getting a 304. I think the critizism of the 304 comes from the fact that most V8s generate their torgue at higher RPMs. while the 258 has great torgue at slightly above idle. I recently found a 304 that runs well and is cheap!!! I'm starting to warm to the chalange of building a 304 that will wheel as well as anything. I could put a crane cam with a 1500 to 4500 rpm range in it. That would answer the problem with the low end torgue. There are tons of things that could be done to the and I don't really have anything bad to say about them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.