Regear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Regear...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-17-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
twmattox

Regear...

Planning out my regear strategy. If I follow what I have read, the ideal axle gear ratio will place crusing engine RPM at the point of maximum torque (when tranny is locked at 1:1). Please correct me if this is wrong.

Engine:AMC 4cylinder reaches maximum torque at around 2800RPM

Transmission: T-5 (has 1:1 ratio at 4th gear and approximately 0.86:1 ratio in 5th)

Tires: 31

Figuring on a crusing speed of 65, this places my crusing RPM at

Axle Ratio:3.73

4th gear: 2630 RPM (stock was approx. 2750)

5th gear: 2260 RPM(not an option stock)

or would it be better to go:

Axle Ratio:4.10

4th gear: 2890 RPM (stock was approx. 2750)

5th gear: 2485 RPM(not an option stock)

I use this rig mainly for daily driver (around 15% offroad mostly light trails). I want to get a good blend of take off ability, economy, parts durability, and the ability to pass if needed on the freeway. Any advice would be appreciated...(so long as it's not an engine swap!).

twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I run 4.56 gears with 35" tires on my T-5 and I love it.
I only use 5th on the highway and I easily go 75... unless you're a cop... I usually keep it to about 55.... :-)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.