Red wire under manifold, carb??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Red wire under manifold, carb???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
jessman1979
1981 CJ7 

Red wire under manifold, carb???

I have a 1981 CJ7 and dont know what the red wire is that goes under the manifold, or the carb. Cant tell what it goes to. It is burned through and melted so i want to know If I can just detatch it. Tried uploading a pic but it said it was to big for this site. If you need me to email it to you please let me know. Thank you.

jessman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You may want to see if there is a wire going to the electric choke of your carburetor. Does your Jeep start up easy when it's cold?
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
jessman1979
1981 CJ7 

It has a manual choke installed, but yes there is a wire from the original electric choke. Sorry I am new not only to jeeps but working on cars peroid. So learning slowly. But it did take forever to start, so I bought a webber 32/36 and have not started to install it yet before I find out what this wire is.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I see that you are in California. I don't know for sure, but I believe the ONLY California Air Resources Board (CARB) compliant carburetor is the original.

BEFORE you do anything, VERIFY that you can swap the carb and pass the smog test. I'd hate to see the Weber become nonreturnable if you can't use it.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
jessman1979
1981 CJ7 

I did pass smog already and where I live in Cali I only have to smog it once and never again if I dont sell it. So thats cool. But maybe it has to do with my electric choke?
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Its for your manifold heater. Look down the carb with the butterflies wide open (engine off!) and if u see a bunch of spike-lookin prongs in there then that is it. They say it should be hooked up for cold weather starting. It helps heat the air fuel ratio in the cold so the jeep runs ok until it gets warm. I'm not sure on the stock wiring though? I was actually just about to post this question myself.

My situation is a little different because I put a Howell EFI on my jeep and it said in the manual to hook it up directly to a 12v power source which would mean it would be on all the time while the jeep is running. Not really sure if I even need it at all since the computer has a warm up mode anyway. Once I find out if it is really ok to run it all the time I will probably hook it up. In your case I think u need to find out how it is wired in its stock form. Maybe u can just do what I'm going to do? Hopefully others will chime in for the both of us.
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
jessman1979
1981 CJ7 

Hey thank you so much for writing. I will look into it also. Hopefull I can just use the original wiring. Thanks again.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

My '77 is red.
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This is were it goes:

There is a relay controlled by an oil pressure switch and a water temp switch that turns this heater on.

If there is enough oil pressure and the water temp is cold enough, then relay activates supplying power to this heater.
Once the temp gets above 160*, the temp switch opens and the relay shuts off turning the heater off.

Why Howell wants to keep it on all the time is beyond me. Even if it has a warm up mode, it doesn't keep fuel from condensing on the manifold when it's cold but once it's warm, you just don't need it anymore.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Where is the temp switch and relay located? I can probably hook it back up as intended if I get the right switch.
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzcj5 View Post
Where is the temp switch and relay located? I can probably hook it back up as intended if I get the right switch.
Does it look like it melted from heat from an outside source or because it shorted out and became hot? HAve you checked to see if it has power to it? Id start the jeep and check it for power before it has a chance to warm up.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.