Recon'd 360 ... opinions ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Recon'd 360 ... opinions ?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-07-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
Guy Hollister

Recon'd 360 ... opinions ?

Got an engine on the scope... what do you think of the description ... and is it likely true ? etc... good deal... not gonna be a nightmare... I have a 258... so i'de need a advance adaptors to mate to my 300 and also a V8 Rad... and a new exhaust.

"For Sale: AMC 360 race spec V8, all new parts, high-comp pistons, moly
rings, rhodes bleed down lifters, crane wild cam, edelbrock hi torque inlet
manifold, holley 650 carb, etc, 400bhp, never been run, with rebuilt TH400
box(2WD, easy to put back to 4WD), cost me over 3000, OUCH! urgent sale,
hence 1,000"

Is from a 79 Cherry, and has been bored to +30, and has new high compression pistons, 11:1.

I'll get this thing into orbit yet !

Cheers
Guy

Unread 02-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
Viper Red CJ

It all depends on your cashflow, and how easily those engines are to find over there.

Taken from experience, Rhoads lifters are EXTREMELY noisy, and it will sound like you have valve/lifter problems when you really don't.

I hope that you have access to plenty of racing fuel. 11 to 1 compression is likely to need at LEAST a mixture of pump and race gas.

Last thing that I would be concerned about is how does this person come up with a 400 hp figure? If you haven't run the engine . . .(how can you dyno it?)
Viper Red CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #3
Jeep CJ5

I have to agree with Viper Red. The engine sounds a bit too 'exotic' to be a good Jeep engine. I must admit, the term 'race spec' just doesnt sit to well for me. A Jeep is not a high performance race car.

The compression is quite high. If the octane in your fuel is not high enough you will have serious pre-detonation problems. These can lead to putting a hole in one of your pistons.

I dont like the sound of the 'radical cam'. The more radical the cam the less 'streetable' an engine is (as opposed to being a race engine) You will want to find out exactally what cam is in the engine to find out if it is indeed a high torque, low RPM cam. Horsepower is a lot less important than torque in a Jeep engine. More radical cams usually dont do well at low RPM ranges and come alive above 3000 RPM.

Also, who built the engine? 'Rebuilt' is an obsecure term. Was it done by a guy who has professionally rebuilt hundreds of engines or was it someones first backyard attempt?

Chevy 350's seem to be a popular way to go. Great reliable engine,can be build relatively cheaply and with parts that are amazingly easy to find.

Good luck with the Jeep!
Unread 02-11-2002, 06:38 AM   #4
Guy Hollister

Thanks to both of you ... i wondered how he got the BHP if it had never been flown too... good imagination maybe ?

It does sound a bit too ponsy for the likes of a real Jeep engine ! [CJ implant].

Will keep lookin' !

Cheers
g
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:17 AM   #5
ArbLockerBoy

Hey Guy,

If the guy built it to "race specs" then it was built to generate horse power not torgue. I'm willing to bet the cam in that engine generates it's torgue in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range. you want the 1500 to 2200 range for weeling. race specs and crawling specs are totally different. even if the engine runs well and is reliable it probably wont be a good weeling engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.