Recommendation on used Tires/Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Recommendation on used Tires/Wheels

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
rahijada
1974 CJ5 

Recommendation on used Tires/Wheels

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm currently running a set of 31" PowerCat tires on stock 15" wheels, that are at least 20 years old. While they still have good tread, the tires are slightly cracking, and I know I should be replacing them. The problem is I just don't have the cash to drop on a new set of tires.

So randomly browsing on Craigslist today I see a local guy selling a set of tires and wheels. The info I have on them is that they're 33" tires on 15" wheels with a 5x5.5 pattern. From the picture I can see that the wheels are Wildcat EXT Radial LT tires. I inquired a bit about them for some more information and found out the wheels came off of an International Scout. From what I've been looking at online I believe these should work just fine.

I did go and look at them this evening and they're fairly worn tires. I'm guessing about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of tread left, and you can tell they've been our on rocks that they're somewhat chewed up. He was initially asking $400, but has since told me he'd sell them to me for $275 if that would make me change my mind.

I believe I've got enough clearance for the 33s as the jeep has a total of about 5 inches of lift.

I guess my main question is I'm looking for some feedback here on if I should go ahead and get these. I figure $275 is a decent price even if the tires don't last me that long I could still get some mileage out of them, and always sell the rims off later.

Does anyone know anything about the tires? Experience with the Scout rims on a CJ5? Etc?

Thanks,

David

1974 Jeep CJ5

wheels.jpg

rahijada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Your life(and others)depend on your tires and brakes.
I think buying used of either is a bad idea.
Get a CC, and buy new. Then pay the CC off as fast as you can.
Winter will be here before long........
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Wildcats are made for Dean by Cooper. I would only buy used to get me home. How does the bead area look on both sides? Sidewall cracking? As for the scout wheels will they clear for the front axle?
boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.