Recommend solvent for carpet glue in tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Recommend solvent for carpet glue in tub

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-29-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
sampson9dk

Recommend solvent for carpet glue in tub

The inside of my CJ steel tub covered in carpet glue, tar and all kinds of sticky stuff. Its on there good. Can anyone recommend a strong solvent that will easily disolve and clean the gunk. I dont mind scrubbing a little but I want something that is going to work well.

Ideas???

sampson9dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #2
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Try scraping the majority of it off with a razor blade scraper. Once most of it is gone, it should be fairly easy to get the rest off with mineral spirits, carb cleaner, etc.

-moto
motoxxxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). I got a gallon of it somewhere years ago, probably to clean up old glue on a fabric-covered aircraft frame. Don't use it indoors without proper ventilation, it's quite toxic.
Unread 06-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #4
Yellow Fever

sampson9dk,

I had to remove the carpet from my CJ7 due to rust on the floor, so I know the problem well. I went to HomeDepo and got this cleaner (don't remember the name, but can find out if you like)that worked great. The only thing is, it'll also take the paint right off. Great for me, because I'm planning on Herculiner the tub, so it saved me an extra step.

Good Luck,
Yellow Fever
4:56 Gear

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Yellow Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
ace2222

Use POR-15 paint remover!!! it is the best thing in the world take care of everything
ace2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #6
cj5mudman4x4

I work at a paint store and i recommend goof-off. or laquer thinner would do great. i took sticker residue off with laquer thinner real easy.. and it wont harm ur body paint.M.E.K is a stripper it will hurt ur paint.

HTH
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
MudLover

My friend used Xylene. It was awesome and didn't hurt the paint at all (so his logic told him to Rhino Line it hahaha).

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.