rebuilt engine wont turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rebuilt engine wont turn

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
mickeymountain

rebuilt engine wont turn

I rebuilt an f head 134 (bored to .60, rebuilt the valve train, milled crank, new pistons, bearings etc.) I got it started and drove it around town for a couple days and it ran fine. Yesterday I got in it to finish breaking it in, so I got on the highway and was doing about 50 mph after a couple miles the engine started rattling and stalled out (power just went to hell) I pulled over and let it idle and it picked back up for about 10 seconds then the same thing only this time when I pulled over it died and I cannot get the engine to turn even with a breaker bar. Took the oil pan off and the pistons and cylinders look fine all the valves look ok I pulled the caps off the rods and mains and they look fine. I was wondering if the flywheel or pressure plate might have come loose I torqued the pressure plate to between 20 and 30 lbs., or could it be something else Im really stumped and dont want to pull the motor if i dont have to.

mickeymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
jstltreat

Sounds to me like you possibly spun a rod bearing and it welded to the crank. You possibly installed the incorrect bearings if the crank has been turned. Wish you luck.
jstltreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Cerveza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstltreat
Sounds to me like you possibly spun a rod bearing and it welded to the crank. You possibly installed the incorrect bearings if the crank has been turned. Wish you luck.
Ditto................................
Cerveza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
mickeymountain

thanks for info

You guys were right it was a welded bearing, except it was the rear main not a rod. thanx
mickeymountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.