Rebuilt dana 18 still making noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rebuilt dana 18 still making noise

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-28-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
wild1_robertson

Rebuilt dana 18 still making noise

Story so far Bought stock 68 CJ5 225 t14 dana 18 OD PTO wench. Drove 30 miles and t-case ran dry started making a lot of noise when maintaining speed better when accelerating. Better with thicker oil in t-fer case.

I pulled it down and the main shaft looked loose. took 3 speed and main case for d18 to a 4 wheel drive shop. they had me replace most of 3 speed and they installed new bearings on output shaft. I put rest of trans fer case togather. ( my first)

the 3 speed works great and up to 35 it runs perrfect. 35 to 45 cruze and it is as noisey as ever.

The OD could not be repaired I will replace later. so No OD no PTO and the transfer case is so hot after driving 10 miles at 45 that I got 2nd degree burn lightly tuching.

I paid 1800 for parts and 2000 for jeep. i am a little fed up. Any one else seen this?

Also when the t case got bad the speedo would work when I backed off gas. Replaced gear and now it is not working at all

Plan was to drive 1000 miles to my new job this weekend but I just rented a truck and trailer.

wild1_robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
wild1_robertson

My guess is end play on output shaft

anyone else seen a problem like this, HELP please
wild1_robertson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.