Rebuilt 258 Overheat, burns oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rebuilt 258 Overheat, burns oil

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Rebuilt 258 Overheat, burns oil

All right, here is my situation. I have a professionally rebuilt 258, new thermostat, and a new radiator pulled from a jeep comanche. Now, the engine had run in little 30 second stints a few times, but we tried to run it tonight for ten minutes at 1800 rpm as per the recommended camshaft break in. Tonight it ran fine at the rpm for around 4 or 5 minutes, then it started to burn oil, I think, great puffs of white smoke. I turned the key off, but it continued to run for a few more seconds after, longer than it should have. Checked the radiator, kinda foolishly opened the cap, but it was near empty. We poured some more water in to full. We started it again, but still puffs of white smoke. I could hear liquid noises, could not pinpoint where, though. Like a gurgling sound. A little nervous to run it any longer, to see if it will burn off. We monitored the oil pressure the whole time, but the temp gauge refuses to work. Never matter, it should be able to run for a few minutes without overheating, right? Pulled a spark plug, a little black, but no damage otherwise. Any ideas? Don't know what to do next.
Key Points
-New radiator on a cj7 off a comanche
-New thermostat
-Initially very low coolant level
-Burned white smoke, possibly oil?
-Ran a few seconds after shut off
-Refilled coolant
-Still white smoke
-Sparkplug a little black
-Oil level/Pressure fine
Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

White smoke is typically coolant burning.
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
White smoke is typically coolant burning.
makes me wonder if the head gasket wasnt seated properly or the head is cracked.

Ben
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Yep, sounds like you have a hybrid / hydro engine now. All joking aside, it sounds like one of the water jackets are leaking into one of the cylinders. You will need to have your engine builder remove your head and see what's going on. Sounds like he may have forgot to put the head gasket on?
You need to drain your oil too and see if you have any coolant in the oil.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

White smoke is typically steam. Next time you see the radiator empty like that just stop it and let it sit and cool off.
80cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Checked the oil level several times, and it was the same level, and no water. The last time the water got into the cylinder, which caused the rebuild, a piston was shattered, and the oil level was 3 times as high as it should have been. Just checked the plugs, all except the one I checked earlier had a coat of oil. Face palm. What does this mean on a rebuilt engine?

Last edited by Jeepkid1995; 05-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Incorrect Information
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

It could be the head bolt that goes into the water jacket. IRRC its the drivers side closest to the radiator. Its torqued less since it should have thread sealant on it.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It sounds like you will have to exercise your warranty on that "professionally re-built" engine.

Did you have the block and heads magnafluxed to check for cracks?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

I just looked over the receipt, and the both block and head were magnafluxed and resurfaced. All I know is that I sent the thing in there completely disassembled, and it came out all buttoned up. I have the list of new installed parts as well, which include all new valves and piston rings. About that head bolt, what could cause damage? Over torque? I need a new set of deep sockets to test that one with my torque wrench. I will test it as soon as I can. I went out this morning to check the oil again, and I could here a low, umm, not a gurgling sound, but an amplified dripping sound coming from inside the carb/header area. The radiator is again low on fluid. It is not going into the oil pan, and it is not going on the floor. Someone's stealing my water! Any ideas? This is more than a little annoying on a rebuilt engine.
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Also, I don't think I can be burning coolant, I filled the system full of water as recommended on first start up. Water getting into a cylinder would not make the exhaust go white, would it?
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I bet if you pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over, you'll find Ol' Faithful. Thar she blows!

I'm with the guys on this one. Head gasket or an unsealed head bolt into a water jacket.
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid1995
Also, I don't think I can be burning coolant, I filled the system full of water as recommended on first start up. Water getting into a cylinder would not make the exhaust go white, would it?
What color is steam aka burning water?

Ben

P.s. I'll give you a Hint, steams white
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

As Shawn said...

Or, perhaps a more controlled test would be to pull the radiator cap, then pull individual plugs and blow compressed air into the hole. You should see bubbles in the coolant when you find the leaking cylinder.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
As Shawn said...

Or, perhaps a more controlled test would be to pull the radiator cap, then pull individual plugs and blow compressed air into the hole. You should see bubbles in the coolant when you find the leaking cylinder.

Matt
Yes, that's a much better idea. It just isn't as fun

You could always bump it over again and again. All joking aside, little bumps from a 12v starter and an open spark plug hole won't put you in any danger. If it spits water out, you know the head has to come off; which is probably the case anyways.

That sucks, man. That's a lot of work.

Shawn

Edit: Question for you experienced guys. If it spits water out of #1, is it possible for him to simply remove the head bolt in question, seal the threads and re-install it? I'm just trying to save the guy some headache. If that does it, he might be off and running. If not, well, we know the answer there.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

The exhaust is white. I guess I will have to pull the plugs and turn it over, and see if I have any water in there. I'll post the outcome. Thanks

Tags
258 , coolant , oil , overheat , water

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.