Rebuilding TF999 whats the cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rebuilding TF999 whats the cost?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

3 speed auto TF999 rebuild for $600 is that a good price?

rainjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

$600 Is VERY reasonable.

There is a lot involved, removal of the transfer case,
Removal of the transmission,
Rebuild of the transmission,

You are looking at about $250 in rebuild parts alone, and that's if none of the hard parts are toast.
Replacing the converter is pretty much mandatory, you don't want a worn converter with little pieces of clutch material/metal in it put back into a fresh rebuild...
That's $75 to $100 right there!

Just make sure you get the 'Towing' type clutches when you rebuild for heavy service if you off road.
If you don't off road, then the standard clutches are fine.

I wouldn't touch it for $600 unless the shop was REALLY slow and I just needed to keep busy.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

One other thing that comes to mind,
Before I work on a transmission, I usually change filter, fluid, adjust bands and throttle valve linkage.

Before I tear into one, I usually check the line pressure to the 1st/Rev. clutches and make sure it's not a throttle valve issue.

Too many times I've torn into a Chrysler transmission and found out everything was OK, not real tight, but close enough it should have been working,
Just to find out the plastic bushings in the throttle valve linkage had given up, or the linkage it's self had given up somewhere or was HORRIBLY out of adjustment.

The throttle valve will bypass a lot of the pressure from the pump when the throttle blades aren't open (Idle) and start to pass full pressure to the 1st/Rev. clutch pack when you open the throttle a little...
The idea is, without that extra pressure, there isn't as much wear on the clutches when you are sitting at stop lights, ect. in gear.

When that throttle valve gets misadjusted, you wind up with pressure bypassing the clutch pack when it shouldn't be.

So adjusting the throttle valve, then taking a line pressure reading will tell you pretty quick if it's a weak pump, worn clutches, band that needs adjusting or just plain old age...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
$600 Is VERY reasonable.

There is a lot involved, removal of the transfer case,
Removal of the transmission,
Rebuild of the transmission,

You are looking at about $250 in rebuild parts alone, and that's if none of the hard parts are toast.
Replacing the converter is pretty much mandatory, you don't want a worn converter with little pieces of clutch material/metal in it put back into a fresh rebuild...
That's $75 to $100 right there!

Just make sure you get the 'Towing' type clutches when you rebuild for heavy service if you off road.
If you don't off road, then the standard clutches are fine.

I wouldn't touch it for $600 unless the shop was REALLY slow and I just needed to keep busy.
Thank you so much for all the good information. I called the mechanic and instructed him to change the filter,fluid and adjust the throttle valve linkage before we do any major rebuild. hope this fixes it.
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
rrtex1
1981 CJ7 

updates?
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great advice JeepHammer! I got 3 extra years out of a TF727 doing just that.

As far as rebuild costs, that's an incredibly good deal. 999/727's are not difficult transmissions to work on, and it drives me nuts to hear of shops quoting guys 3+grand for rebuild.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Did you have it rebuilt, and if so, how is it doing?

Also, do you have any other pics of your '7 that you could post up here?

It is a sharp looking '7!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
One other thing that comes to mind,
Before I work on a transmission, I usually change filter, fluid, adjust bands and throttle valve linkage.

Before I tear into one, I usually check the line pressure to the 1st/Rev. clutches and make sure it's not a throttle valve issue.

Too many times I've torn into a Chrysler transmission and found out everything was OK, not real tight, but close enough it should have been working,
Just to find out the plastic bushings in the throttle valve linkage had given up, or the linkage it's self had given up somewhere or was HORRIBLY out of adjustment.

The throttle valve will bypass a lot of the pressure from the pump when the throttle blades aren't open (Idle) and start to pass full pressure to the 1st/Rev. clutch pack when you open the throttle a little...
The idea is, without that extra pressure, there isn't as much wear on the clutches when you are sitting at stop lights, ect. in gear.

When that throttle valve gets misadjusted, you wind up with pressure bypassing the clutch pack when it shouldn't be.

So adjusting the throttle valve, then taking a line pressure reading will tell you pretty quick if it's a weak pump, worn clutches, band that needs adjusting or just plain old age...

I finally got the tranny rebuilt with a new torque converter and is back on the jeep and it shifts better and softer than before. too soft i would say, the only problem that i got to figure out is why is not giving me power uphill or when i want to pass another car when i step down on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I have to manually down shift to 2nd uphill it never did this before the rebuild. any advice jeephammer?
Unread 06-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like the kick down isn't adjusted correctly....but in could be wrong.
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

anyone knows the gear shifting points are? Im in 2nd at 15mph and 3rd(D) at 20-25 is this right? Is the kickdown still suppose to work with 35" tires? downshift when floored pedal?
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
JH-When using these "Towing Type Clutches" is it wise to use a shift kit, or is on not needed.

Thanks,
Jim

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjeep View Post
anyone knows the gear shifting points are? Im in 2nd at 15mph and 3rd(D) at 20-25 is this right? Is the kickdown still suppose to work with 35" tires? downshift when floored pedal?
Take it back, the TV linkage needs to be reset, Im suprised they let it out of thier shop like that, and dont wait!...ocg
Oldcraneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
spankyway

After reading all this information, and a few other threads concerning the TF999, I think I'm going to rebuild mine. I have a '94 YJ that won't even move anymore. I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a good rebuild kit or is one from Autozone good enough? Do the rebuild kits come with parts to rebuild the pump or is that extra?
spankyway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.