Rebuilding of the Old Rugged Crosser--CJ5 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 237 Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged-Crosser View Post
Hey guys,

That hood support is only 2 feet long. I can't make every one happy.
This looks about the same length and it covers all the colors too.

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 237 Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

John,

Seeing how you asked, I had Dan at http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/jeep-cj-dashs Double D fab make it for me. I also had him make me a custom dash that I designed. He was good to work with but very slow to return e-mails. At times I thought maybe he took long naps. 72 hour naps!

His work was faultless. Good quality and good workmanship. He was good to correspond and we agreed upon everything before the work started. He would draft up a draft and send it for my approval after each change.

I am using it for my CB and Sterio speakers. I also mounted my SWR meter in it so I can keep track of my CB output signal.

I still have one more mod to make for it. I am going to put some overhead lighting in it. I have it but just have'nt got around to putting it in.

By the way, in the pic below I should tell you because it is not evident that in the consul that my tranny shifter in on is also a cooler. The box below the shifter is a built in cooler. I built the box out of plywood and insulated the inside of it then put three layers of fiberglass in it to waterproof it. I also put a drain out the bottom that drains out through the floor of the jeep to the ground. To access it I pull up the upholstered lid that is held down by Velcro.

One other thing--on my dash I had my gauge panel extended out and at a angle to make reading the 2 5/8" Auto Meter gauges easier.That panel is on a piano hinge on the edge so it can open to my fuse block which is behind it. I put the fuse block in there so I could access it from the drivers seat and have light to work by if I should need to change a fuse at night. Besides it is weather proof there.

There ya be

You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Old Rugged Crosser in a Old Rugged Cross-en CJ-5
------------------------------------------
"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
post #63 of 237 Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
This looks about the same length and it covers all the colors too.

Dave, I can't quit laughing! That is too much!!!!!!!!!

PERFECT

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

post #64 of 237 Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
jaek
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I wish your dad was my neighbor!
You two would be best friends.
post #65 of 237 Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
OK, Shiftace (at first I read it: "****face" then upon second take I realized my mistake.) OK you did it again: What is that all about?
lol, yeah , I've received a few comments about the name.

Our state troopers, as well as some of the sheriffs departments have been instructed to "step up" issuing citations in an effort to increase revenue for the state and counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpets View Post
...it is perfectly acceptable to take a sawzall to anything you can't figure out, that is how we all learn.

post #66 of 237 Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So that rear suspension set up is definitely pretty cool. you gotta get some pictures up of the flex on that. As far as the paint job, sorry gotta say i liked it better before. And those tires definitely gotta fill up those wheel wells a little more. But to each his own and definitely some sweet fab work
post #67 of 237 Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM
h2oskikrazy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What's that steering wheel from?-a 72 Pontiac? I'm sure it's functional in that you can see the gauges through it. I'm just not sure from an appearance standpoint, that it matches the quality of the other dash components. Unless, its there for nostalgic reasons?
post #68 of 237 Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskikrazy View Post
What's that steering wheel from?-a 72 Pontiac? I'm sure it's functional in that you can see the gauges through it. I'm just not sure from an appearance standpoint, that it matches the quality of the other dash components. Unless, its there for nostalgic reasons?
Water ski crazy:
You are right about the steering wheel. And it is coming off as soon as I get my mahogany wood steering wheel. One thing at a time!

post #69 of 237 Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

QUESTION:

What does one do when their body is no longer a nimble as it once was due to 2 complete hip replacements, and 2 total knee replacements and his jeep is up there in nose bleed territory? I believe that the answer is to build a ladder. And that is just what I have done. Today while I am waiting on other materials to arrive I decided to take matters in hand. A ladder is what I spent my time on today.

It is not permanent. Once in the jeep I can grab the handle and pull it up inside. Then when i arrive I can put it in place to get my body safely to the ground. Here's 2 pic's:

Here are some pic's that give a little more detail

post #70 of 237 Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Hey Larry I have gauge envy! How about a close up of your 6 gauge cluster?
post #71 of 237 Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Cool Beans, Larry! Well done.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #72 of 237 Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 AM
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Larry, the overhead console looks great and the ladder is resourceful! I will probably need one myself someday since knee and hip replacements are very common in my family.

On the mahogany steering wheel, I don't see any other wood in the CJ and think it would look out of place. Maybe a Grant Signature polished with black leather?

Dave's 78 Build
post #73 of 237 Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Hey Larry I have gauge envy! How about a close up of your 6 gauge cluster?
Your wish is my command:

post #74 of 237 Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 PM
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Larry!

You have built yourself a top notch machine!
post #75 of 237 Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

One of my latest projects was the installation of a Taurus 2 speed fan:

I had to make room in the radiator shell. Here I had to start making room for the fan by moving the radiator up and forward. It all started with a little tin smithing.

Here you can see my transmission oil cooler. I also had to weld in new rails to bolt the rad. to.

I have a Delta Current Control 2SP Two speed fan controller on order from Delta Current Control.
When It comes in I will give more info on it.

While I was into this area I decided to do one more mod. On the early CJ's the temp control is done by closing off the supply of air that goes through the heater core. I decided to put a Murfey valve in the heater core hot water supply hose so I can shut off the hot water before it can go to the heater core. I used the temp. control cable to operate the valve. The valve I used is off of a early 70's Ford pu. They are still available at the parts store. I bought a new one for mine. I will give you a couple pic's of this valve.

Here is the new one installed. If you look close you can see the control cable attached.

Well !!!! I have been busy, I 'm tired. Will leave it there for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.