Rebuilding of the Old Rugged Crosser--CJ5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 237 Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

(Note)
Before I get started on my next rant I just wanted to say that it will be awhile in this thread before I get to what is sort of my expertize --painting. So if you have any questions in that area I will try my best to help out. Just break in. I am not an "expert" but I do have knowledge and experience.

Once I got it home, the first decision that I had to make was "How far am I going to go with the resurrection of the CJ." I knew that the ignition was shot and if I wanted to drive it the first thing I was going to need to spend money on was that. Probably the best decision I made was that I determined Just how I was going to use it. It came to me that I had burned out on the racing scene and competitive sports so that left me to use it as it was meant to be---off road recreation. So with that determined that meant the blower motor was definitely out. Those days were over!

As I said before, I had always messed with Fords. Did I want to build a small block Ford and put in the Jeep which would be a lot more trouble and effort or did I want to stay with the 360 that was all ready in it? After doing some investigating I decided that I would stay with the 360, and with that being so I bought a MSD HEI to replace that old system. I believe in keeping things simple if possible. Why buy coils, dizzys and ign. boxes when you can get a real good product in one unit.

As a side note when I started reading the wheeeelen blogs and ran across the "dizzy" nomenclature I had no earthy idea what they were talking about. I have since discovered that there are many anachronisms and synonyms used to almost make it a language of it's own. You have to learn the 'Jargon." I didn't know if a Dana 20 was suitable or if a 60 was overkill for what I wanted. I was going into this jeep thing completely ignorant of this new Jeep world. All I knew is that when I went to assault the Out Back I did not want to break down.

Upon closer inspection of my new purchase, I could see that the PO's were not very skilled in anything mechanical and the 28 years of off road use had taken its toll. I really had not intended in getting into the repair as deeply as it came to be, but as you know one thing leads to another and before you can do that something else should be done first. I have always been of the mind that if you are going to do something it should be done right. I hate the "I wish I had's" and the "If only's." And I hate breaking down if it could have been prevented by just a little more effort, and I do love "gadgets" and taking preventive measures. I also enjoy looking for "that edge," that just might make it better.

Finally I made the decision that the old frame had been patched to many times and the cracks in it were not worth chaseing. It was time for a new frame. Seeing that I was acustomed to building race car frames I decided that I had One more in me, and this one looked like a Jeep. So I went to town stripping the Old one down.

I guess it is time for some pic's.

I am sure that many of you have been acquainted with this procedure. This was quite a get acquainted party as part after part introduced itself to me. I said more than once "oh that is how a jeep is built!!" and "I'll have to remember how that goes back together!!"

Once I took the body off and had a bare frame i decided I would start making a new frame while I still had the old one for a pattern. Now I was wishing I had the Old shop and welding table to use. But I new I could vamp it. So I put some sheets of plywood together to make a flat layout surface. Who says it has to be expensive and metal? I only needed something for a one shot deel, and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on equipment I would only need once.

The saw horses were even strong enough to hold the motor during the lay out.:

Hope this is satisfactory for this installment.

So much for now. Until later and life is greater

You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Old Rugged Crosser in a Old Rugged Cross-en CJ-5
------------------------------------------
"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 237 Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I like the frame fabrication write up, especially when it's all something I have not done myself

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 237 Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
twinstickd20
1979 CJ7 

nice 5, i know how you feel on the frame(i had to rebuild the rear of my frame due to rust) keep up the good work

My Build Thread

post #19 of 237 Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

My story continues:

When I decided to build a complete frame for my CJ I decided to look at many blogs and articles on the net. Seeing that I have come from the competitive world of racing my interest was taken by what those with competitive and inventive minds of the off road enthusiast to see what he has come up with. My attention was caught by the quest for suspension articulation. My choice of rear suspension was the quarter elliptic. This was something that I had always wanted to experiment with so I decided that this would be a good opportunity. I read about the good and the bad in the stories of those who had tried to apply this type of suspension. When I read about the problems that rear steer was causing I was challenged to see if I could overcome this problem. I was shocked when I saw that some rear axles shifted over anywhere for 6 to 12 inches. I was also impressed how well the elliptic suspension articulated. This became my challenge. Just like waving a red blanket in front of a bull.

Another consideration that I detected was the problem of keeping the pinion angle and driveline from distorting and becoming misaligned when in severe articulation. I found many articles on long torque arms verses short with all the pro’s and con’s. This seemed to be the hot setup. Yet I could see that it had its difficulties. The quarter spring set up seemed to me the simples of all systems. The advantage that I could see that the quarter elliptic sprung set up had over the coil spring set up is that the springing medium was picking up the weight of the vehicle about 3 feet further forward of the normal coil spring setup. This should give the quest for traction a much greater advantage to the ľ leafs. Thus the rear over-hanging weight of the jeep would have a greater leverage and thus traction.

I posted the following pic in my last installation and I am surprised that I did not generate any questions about it as I did not give any explanation for it. I purposely put it in to generate questions. This is the spring anchor point of the quarter elliptic springs.

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
post #20 of 237 Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Here are a couple more pic's of the suspension system:

This is the load bolt where the spring picks up the weight. This bolt is adjustable so I can turn it and lower or raise the rear suspension as I desire.

Note that the top triangulated links attach to the rear end via a sliding center attachment. This will be better seen on one of the next pic's.

The thing to take note of here is the crossmember that the lower locating links attach to rotates. The center attaching point for the lower links will rotate as suspension is articulated sideways. The Crossmember will rotate as the suspension is articulated up and down. The xfer case does not mount to this crossmember so that it can rotate with the suspension.

Here you can see the slip joint in the upper locating links so that it does not change the pinion angle of the drive shaft yoke as the suspension goes up and down. The yoke angle stays the same during full articulation up and down. This eliminates a big problem presented with a 3 or 4 link setup. This eliminates any binding on the u-joint during articulation.

Also note that the spring attachment will articulate for and aft as well as sideways, eliminating any binding and spring distortion upon large side ways drop or lift.

Note how free this suspension is able to twist and not bind at any point. As you can see I am using Billstien shocks. Money well spent in my estimation.

post #21 of 237 Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
DVR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice work!
post #22 of 237 Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Nice job for sure! This will be a good one to follow
post #23 of 237 Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Amazing! Sort of like a motorcycle swingarm. Very nice fab work.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #24 of 237 Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Looks good Larry.

Question, do U think it will be to springy? I know the shocks will help but did U do any calculations or ............

Thanks,
Jim

<----Click

<---- Click
post #25 of 237 Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM
ms198
1985 CJ7 

thats an awesome suspension setup. not something you see every day, especially on a cj5. really cool build, can't wait to watch this one.
post #26 of 237 Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Jim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Looks good Larry.

Question, do U think it will be to springy? I know the shocks will help but did U do any calculations or ............

Jim
Basically all you are asking of a spring is to hold up the weight. The shocks then control the rate of rebound or compression. Those springs hold up the jeep very well plus 34 gallons of gas or 244# right above it. Achieving a softer ride was one of the benefits I am looking for. At my age, and the condition of my bod, I don't need one of those teeth jarring rides.

The one thing that I haven't done is to install a sway bar which will help in the usage of soft springs on highway usage. I'm sure that I will be installing one before this ride is finished. The sway bar will help on the bumps making one spring respond as two together.

post #27 of 237 Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM
rrtex1
1981 CJ7 

Round Rock, Texas
1981 CJ7 AMC304
post #28 of 237 Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
w5ss
1982 CJ7 

Pass the popcorn! I love what I am seeing so far. Thanks for the details, Larry.
post #29 of 237 Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
MightyLampshade
1979 CJ7 

I can't wait to see how to managed to fit a TH400 under a CJ5! They were too long to come from the factory so that must have taken some doing. Really nice looking so far and I can't wait to see more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Let's make fun of him for being assaulted by chicken so he can claim emotional distress.

post #30 of 237 Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

I have only see a suspension similar to that in the humwee thread. it seems logical but why dont you see it more often? im very intrigued.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.