Rebuilding of the Old Rugged Crosser--CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rebuilding of the Old Rugged Crosser--CJ5

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Rebuilding of the Old Rugged Crosser--CJ5

A preview of things to come:

Since I plan on meeting with you on a regular basis talking about this Jeep thing, let me introduce myself.

I am a recently retired construction electrician. But I am quick to say that I didn't just function in that capacity only. A person of my age should have had many of life's experiences to tell and I do. Throughout my life I have worn many different hats.

Starting out as a small fry I was taught about mechanics at a early age, as I was born into a family with parents that suffered through the great depression and had to repair and fix everything. So following after my father I also learned to repair everything. My early remembrances go back to the farm and that old 41 International 2 ton Cab-over truck that my father regularly had to fix. It was in this that I learned to drive at the age of 14. It was then that I came by my fascination with autos of all types.

I grew to have, need and love speed. While in high school I built my share of jalopies and hot rods. But because of my dreams over running my pocket book I had to build everything I could not afford to buy.

I started out with an interest in drag racing as is a natural starting point for most speed enthusiast. I became disenchanted with that type of racing because of all the effort it took to get the car to the races and then to be put out instantly over a miscue at the line. All that weeks and weeks of work all for not. And if I were to be so lucky to get off the starting line it was all over with so soon. I began looking for something that the thrill lasted a little longer in and that made all that work worth while. I wanted to make the thrill last a little longer than a few seconds. This is when I was introduced to stock car racing. And what a thrill.

That thrill took me into and out of the ranks of NASCAR, all the while doing my own building and wrenching. In those days one could get to the winners circle by being able to out-design and out-build your opponents. In those days there were not any mail-order parts places to get those high performance gadgets from. You made your own.

In this I became known for my quality work in building and painting race cars. This grew into others hiring me to do cars for them. This brought me to building a custom automotive business which I maintained on the side of my uptown work as a electrician. This is really where the cash came from!! The other maintained my playing around habits.

When I was forced to retire from my electrical trade due to some job related injuries I had burned out on the car thing and wanted to find something that I could enjoy in retirement that would facilitate my now limited body. However I still knew I enjoyed my infatuation with the automobile. I wanted a rig that I could enjoy without the burden of having to meet with deadlines.
This is where the Jeep inters in.

Even though I had had no exposure to Jeep en, or as you call it "Wheel-en" I began to investigate the possibilities of taking up this form of recreation. I had long since sold my shop and tools as I was thinking my automotive repairing days were over due to the limitations of my many injuries life handed out. However, I could not get away from my mind and its dreams of continuing the thrills of the past. My mind told me that Jeep-en (excuse me... "wheel-en") would be good rehabilitating therapy.

I reasoned that it was a shame that the knowledge that I had gained should all go to waste. I was looking at Crag's list one day and saw a listing of a 72 CJ-5. At that time I didn't even know what a CJ-5 was. But the price sounded very reasonable and so I went to investigate. It was a fixer-upper for sure but then I reasoned that I could use it as rehabilitation therapy and get in some garage time as the body permitted. You see that by this time I had had both of my knees totally replaced twice on each leg, a steel cage built around my spine and both of my hips replaced. Not to mention several bone implantation's in both of my hands with arthritis setting in. I couldn't just sit around and dwell on this for the rest of my life, I wanted to get beyond it all, and I had to keep active. The Doc's said that if I didn't keep active I would loose my ability to do much of anything.

So I bought the jeep and started acquiring some more tools. At this time I knew very little of the buzz words that I found you fellows throwing around when I went to the net to see what information I could find there. That is when I ran across these blogs and Jeep forums. For all I knew a 4" body lift to me meant that you raised your body 4 more inches off the floor. I soon realized that there was a lot to learn in this wheeling thing.

In the list of tools that I bought was a Millermatic wire-feed and a Plasma cutter along with a 80 gallon 2 stage compressor and acetylene torch. I also re-equipped my garage-shop with the other necessities needed. I still had most of my hand tools spray guns and air-tools that I had hung onto, which I was glad for. I had hopes that at least one of my 3 boys would follow along and make use of them but as life would see it not one of them has any automotive interest. IF it isn't round and you can't throw it they don't have much use for it.

All this is just to bring us to the point of this blog....the JEEP, THE CJ-5.

More to come.....

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/"][/B]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/[/URL][/CENTER]

The Old Rugged Crosser in a Old Rugged Cross-en CJ-5
------------------------------------------
"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Last edited by Rugged-Crosser; 03-12-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Rugged-Crosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

You posted some pic before on a other link do you have more pic of the rebuild of the CJ 5
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
You posted some pic before on a other link do you have more pic of the rebuild of the CJ 5
Yes! they will be coming. I'm taking a break! Thanks for asking.

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/"][/B]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/[/URL][/CENTER]

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Larry glad to see that you've started a thread but man I didn't know you were going to write a complete documentory in the first post. I haven't read it all yet, but I will. Kinda running behind right now but wanted to stop and say hi and subscribe. Enjoy the day.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
1983 CJ7 

Dang it, I guess I am third in on the thread

Larry, I am positive you can post lots of pic's but your mug shot is not what I am looking for, even if it's better than mine

Unread 03-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Dang it, I guess I am third in on the thread

Larry, I am positive you can post lots of pic's but your mug shot is not what I am looking for, even if it's better than mine

Jim, it is not as good as your girls.

Unread 03-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Larry glad to see that you've started a thread but man I didn't know you were going to write a complete documentory in the first post. I haven't read it all yet, but I will. Kinda running behind right now but wanted to stop and say hi and subscribe. Enjoy the day.
Dave,
Get out the popcorn.

Unread 03-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

Welcome Larry. Congrats on still wanting to do something and having fun.
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Begenings of the Old Rugged Crosser

Well here is where it all began for the Rugged Crosser. Upon reading an add in Craig's list I got intouch with the PO and made him a deal. I don't know which one of us got the best deal but I do know who came out with money in his hand and who is still handing out money.

I knew at the time I bought the CJ that I was going to have to put some work, money and effort into it. The work started even before I could drive it away. We were having a hard time starting the 360 motor that was in it. The PO said that the carb needed to be cleaned out as the reason it would start and then die. So I took off the 2 barrel Holley that was on it and took it home to check it out. The carb was clean inside. Upon returning the carb I discovered that the igntion modual was punk so I loaded it up on a trailer and carried it home not yet having driven it.

At this point I had never laid my eyes upon a AMC motor. I didn't know if their motors were fit to work with or not. I was rather suspicious seeing how as that I had been a Ford man all my life. At this point I still had a ace in the hole but I was not yet ready to play out that card.

At the time I bought the jeep I had in the back of my mind that if the motor that was in it was not worth working with I could use a motor that was just sitting under wraps in the garage. I had been trying to sell it but I was not willing to give it away and that was what the lookee loos wanted. It was pretty much a nich motor that only would appeal to a very few who knew its true value. Here is a picture of that motor:

This is a Blown 460 that I had built up for a 79 Ford pickup that I had been playing with before it got away from me while I was trying to drive it while on drugs. You see I have to take a fairly good amount of methadone to control the pain in my body brought on by those life sucks moments in life that tore up my body. I thought that I had everything under control and took my prize possession for a spin, showing off for my brother-in-law's camera. Well the back brakes locked up and put me in the ditch and ruined the truck body. That would be this truck--a before picture:

I have other pic's of it but they are not loaded up in Photo bucket.

Needless to say I was so mad at myself that I pulled the motor and sold what I could and scraped the rest. The motor was not hurt in the ordeal. Neither was I or anyone else. Let this be a warning don't drug and drive.

Well, back to the CJ. Here is a pic of it the way I found it:

This is the beginnings of what I now call "The Old Rugged Crosser."
As I was given a second chance at the Old Rugged Cross I am likewise giving my CJ-5 a new birth and a second life.

I will now give you a glimpse of how it sits today and then tell you the story of what I went through to get it to this point. Here are a couple of peeks:

These should tease you along. I have to upload some more pic's to my photobucket account and will post them later.

So much for now. Until later and life is greater

Unread 03-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

wow that 460 is a HOSS!

CJ looks alot better since you took over ownership. 360 is stout for a little 5.
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Hey Man, nice motor.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

PTL Larry, and glad to have you. Welcome to the Forum. You have an awful lot of pics to post to bring us up to where you are now!! I was trying to figure out the Ford... did you chop off the end or move the axle back? That truck looks cool!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
molawnboy
1983 CJ7 

Skerr, that bed is way chopped down. Looks like he took a good 3 foot off behind the wheel wells. Rugged Cross, beautiful engine and beautiful 5. Keep up the good work
Just beware, despite popular opinion, de-chroming your Jeep will not make it climb Everest, ford the Pacific, out run John Force, crawl up the side of the Grand Canyon, tow D-11 dozers out of the mud or even start every time for that matter. You need hi-steer for all that...
molawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I was trying to figure out the Ford... did you chop off the end or move the axle back? That truck looks cool!
I took 2 feet out of the middle of a 8' bed and changed the wheel base. Yah I put lots of work into it.

Unread 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hi Larry.
I just went back and read through your post. You've got enough steel in your body to make some Jeep parts out of! I'm glad you decided to find something that gets you up and working too, no doubt you could have easily sat down and gotten worse but you chose not to. Good move.

I think you're gonna have enough engine for the CJ. Maybe the blower is a bit overkill but you might need that extra power.

Keep us posted, spend lots of money on your hobbie and start more projects than you can finish and you'll fit in just fine around here.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.