Rebuild alternator or buy reman - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rebuild alternator or buy reman

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Rebuild alternator or buy reman

What's the feeling on rebuilding an alternator as opposed to buying a remanufactured one? One big advantage I see buying a reman is you can get an upgrade from 63 to 90 amps. Thoughts.

texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
CSP

You can get rebuild kits that bring the output up as well. I got one from Summit Racing years ago for my CJ5.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

makes a lot more sense to rebuild if your capable than to buy a "rebuilt" by someone else.. heck there's not a whole lot to an alternator...
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
cahuskey
1985 CJ7 

And not that some people care but, most of the "rebuilt" ones you buy from chain stores are like frankeinstein...they're made from all kind of parts..lol
cahuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahuskey View Post
And not that some people care but, most of the "rebuilt" ones you buy from chain stores are like frankeinstein...they're made from all kind of parts..lol
and come from CHINA... and that's no baloney..
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
RDH

You can find a shop or buy the kit yourself to rebuild it for you and be into your alternator for FAR less money that going out and buying a reman of the same output.
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

The rebuild is really easy. I rebuilt one --> HERE <--- Thats the tear down, the put back together is a few pages from there. The ONLY reason I did it was so that I could have the case and pulley powder coated. You can get one for cheap from the parts store with lifetime warranty. Its even easier to just swap one out at the part store if it fails than to rebuild it.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I almost always use a new alternator on my Jeeps when I replace them...but I understand for many people , it's not always a viable option due to price/availability.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.