Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear wiring harness

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  John Strenk 
#1 ·
Putting the body back on the 86 CJ7 and have a few questions about the rear harness. I have a white wire that looks like it might be a ground and appears to land around the fuel tank. There is also a single pigtail next to the passenger side taillight. Any ideas?? Once I get this figured out I can bolt the body up and move on to the next million things........thanks

#4 ·
With help from Vince , the pigtail near the taillight is for the side marker light. The white wire in question has no connector, just a bare wire. Didn't really see it on the schematic you provided.

#6 ·
Being white has two possibilities if it is a stock wire:

Tail light - they are all white 16 gauge wires. No other circuit is done in white.

Last piece connecting to the fuel sender. For some reason the harness is in pink all the way from the gauge to the last connector next to the fuel tank, then it has a white wire connecting to the sender itself. Confusing as heck. You can see it in the diagram that 258 put up, down in the right hand corner. The coloured wiring diagram is from 1977 but a 1986 woudl be very similair.

#7 ·
If that white wire is the sender wire I recommend you also add a ground from the sender body back to a common ground with the gauge. This is best fitted with the tank exposed.

#8 ·
I replaced the sending unit and installed a new ground wire which was provided with the sender. The pink/white wire is hooked up to the sender just like in the schematic. I suspect it's for the side marker. I will confirm tomorrow, thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.