Rear Wheel Bearing Problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear Wheel Bearing Problem...

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Swedish_K

Rear Wheel Bearing Problem...

recently my Left side rear wheel bearing went on my 1984 CJ-7, a couple of years ago I had to replace the rear end because the old one had worn out. Now the shop I took it to insists that they cannot find a wheel bearing that will fit the rear end. They tell me it takes a one piece bearing, and has a number of seals on it. Also the ones they ordered directly from GMC and AMC are a cone type, and will not fit, the tell me that this particular rear end requires a ball bearing of some sort, and that there are none that are interchangable with it...I'm not too sure of the make of the rear end, as the shop I took it to at the time, got it from a junk yard in the nearby area...my question is: there are only so many types of rear end that will fit this particular model, so there must be a company out there that still sells the bearings for it, right? The people at the shop seems to think it might be from I cherokee, I think they might be idiots... anyway..anyone who might now of a company I can order these bearings from, please tell me...I'ce checked Quadratec, and 4-wheel drive hardware, but I'm not exaclty sure what I need to look for...

1984 CJ-7, Fiberglass Body
Straight 6 258
32 inch 1150 Mudkings
Borgwarner 5 Speed
Warn Lockout hubs

Swedish_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think that before anyone can give you any idea of what parts you need more information is required. You will need to get the numbers off the old bearings and seals. Also if you have ever done the brakes, what did you get them for? That kind of information might help. The best information should include what the rear end assembly came out of.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish_K
recently my Left side rear wheel bearing went on my 1984 CJ-7, a couple of years ago I had to replace the rear end because the old one had worn out. Now the shop I took it to insists that they cannot find a wheel bearing that will fit the rear end. They tell me it takes a one piece bearing, and has a number of seals on it. Also the ones they ordered directly from GMC and AMC are a cone type, and will not fit, the tell me that this particular rear end requires a ball bearing of some sort, and that there are none that are interchangable with it...I'm not too sure of the make of the rear end, as the shop I took it to at the time, got it from a junk yard in the nearby area...my question is: there are only so many types of rear end that will fit this particular model, so there must be a company out there that still sells the bearings for it, right? The people at the shop seems to think it might be from I cherokee, I think they might be idiots... anyway..anyone who might now of a company I can order these bearings from, please tell me...I'ce checked Quadratec, and 4-wheel drive hardware, but I'm not exaclty sure what I need to look for...

1984 CJ-7, Fiberglass Body
Straight 6 258
32 inch 1150 Mudkings
Borgwarner 5 Speed
Warn Lockout hubs
You don't by any chance have moser 1pc axles do you? The original style used a sealed ball bearing. The bearing was a green brand bearing and 4wd has them (however they are not in their catalog) I bought them last year for something like $40 a pc.

Edit: I looked it up in my files. Part number RW903RCJ sealed roller bearing $36 each. bought june 12th last year.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Swedish_K

Part Number...

Hey the part number on the other wheel bearing was RW903CJ... Any Ideas where to get that part?
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Geer_hed

seems like mxg might be telling you that you can get them from 4wd.com, or that atleast he was able to.
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Swedish_K

part

Nope,just tried, they only have the one type he metioned already
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish_K
Nope,just tried, they only have the one type he metioned already
Sorry they had them last year. Have you contacted Moser yet? They might be able to get them.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.