rear spring shackle plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rear spring shackle plate

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-30-2002, 08:30 PM   #1
navycj7

rear spring shackle plate

have a broken rear spring shackle plate on my '79CJ. What's the best way to replace as the nuts are inside frame and turn with bolt heads?

navycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by navycj7:
<strong>have a broken rear spring shackle plate on my '79CJ. What's the best way to replace as the nuts are inside frame and turn with bolt heads?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The nuts are supposed to be "captive" and not turn. On my 79 CJ a couple were in the same condition as yours and I wound up torching them off, removing the hangar and cleaning up the area with a grinder. I drilled out all the nuts and flush-welded in new ones. I painted everything and used plenty of grease on the threads on re-assembly.

Now is a good time to consider upgrading the rear hangars to heavier duty ones.
Unread 06-30-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Crash&Burn

This happened on my 79 cj7 on both sides.
Since I was replacing the rear member also I took a piece of 1/2 inch plate and cut to the width of the inside of the frame and about 4inches long, then drilled and tapped the plate to match the holes in the frame. Then all you have to do is slide the plate inside the frame and start the bolts......

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2002, 02:08 PM   #4
scottahicks

I had the same problem, I cut through the back and ground off the bolts, with the hole I could now put in a nut and a flatwrench to hold it in place. I had no welder so I just left the hole in the back open but it worked untill someday I get a welder from the mechanic fairy hahahaha

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2002, 03:06 PM   #5
Boggy Bottom

Steve, would you recommend 1/4" plate for the heavier hangers? Is there a company which sells heavy-duty hangers, or is this a fab job?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.