Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear Main Seal

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
wertyu78
1986 CJ7 

Rear Main Seal

I have a 1986 cj7 renegade. It has the 258 with a TF999 transmission and Dana 300 Transfer case.

My rear main seal went out on me and now i have a major oil leak. What will it take to fix this problem. I know i have to drop the transmission and replace the seal, but where can i buy the seal? what tools will i need? Will i be able to do it in one weekend?

If i have to have it done in a shop, how much should i be expected to be charged?

wertyu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
mwhanson
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
I have a 1986 cj7 renegade. It has the 258 with a TF999 transmission and Dana 300 Transfer case.

My rear main seal went out on me and now i have a major oil leak. What will it take to fix this problem. I know i have to drop the transmission and replace the seal, but where can i buy the seal? what tools will i need? Will i be able to do it in one weekend?

If i have to have it done in a shop, how much should i be expected to be charged?
You could do it in a weekend pending your mechanical ability and tools...the seal shouldn't cost you very much, I'm guessing $30 range, you can get the seal at Napa, and probably any other chain parts store. Tools needed, just the basic stuff, a transmission hoist or a hyd jack would be helpful, and basic sockets and wrenches. If you take it somewhere your probably looking around $350-$500 I would guess...
mwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

you can do it yourself. it isn't a difficult job, just kinda messy and a bit time consuming. you don't need to drop the tranny either.

for starters, are you absolutely certain that it's the rear main that's leaking? a leaky valve cover can cause oil to run down the back of the motor and seem just like a rms leak. take a clean rag and wipe along the back of the motor and valve cover just to be sure.

you can buy the seal at most local parts stores. got mine from napa for under $20 i think. no special tools really.. some sockets, floor jack, a piece 2x4, a mallet or dead blow hammer, a punch (a stick welding rod/electrode worked best for me when tapping out the old upper seal), and that's about it.

here's a great step by step write-up with pics that'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

Rear Main Seal Service and Replacement

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.