Rear main seal on 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear main seal on 258

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-24-2002, 09:45 AM   #1
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear main seal on 258

Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the rear main on an 85 CJ7 with a 258ci engine? T5 trany....

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
hamyscj

Remove oil pan, remove rear bearing cap, slide old seal out, slide new seal in, clean and oil bearing, install rear bearing cap, torque to 80 ft/lbs, install oil pan, change oil filter, add oil, done. In a nut shell, of course. If you are lucky, the oil pan will come off with out too much beating on it. The right motor mount bracket will have to come off in order to remove the pan. One more tip, trust me on this one, get a one piece oil pan gasket for a 4.0. Either from the dealership(they offer a set, op gskt and rear main) or from aftermarket. Carquest has them or Napa. Stay away from the generic stuff. Go with Victor or Felpro. Trust me, it will work and be much easier to install. Read the instructions that come with the gasket as they will most likley tell you to RTV the small holes shut in the timing cover where the old gasket "tits" went in as the new one piece has no "tits". (It is still a better gasket ) Be ready to get oily up to your armpits unless you have a lift. Later, Hamy.
Unread 01-24-2002, 09:11 PM   #3
122345Benny

Check the P.c.V. valve when I bouth my Cj it had oil all over. The preson who had it had changed the pan gasket three times. I found the pcv pipe pluged tight good lucj
122345Benny is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.