Rear Lights wiring... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear Lights wiring...

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Rear Lights wiring...

Jeephammer stressed the use of virgin copper wire. I have just dropped my gas tank and figured since I'm in here might as well rewire the sending unit and rear lights.

Where can I buy virgin copper wire or does it matter for rear lights?

Also, My '72 cj has no smog on it so all I have is a supply line and a vent line. The vent line has no filter and is just open. When I fill my tank to the top it over flows here. I was thinking on making this line longer so it will go to vertical under the wheel well and put a filter on it.??? Any Ideas on what I should do with this vent line???

Thanks for your help.

SC

ASteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

My vent line goes back up to the fuel filler and vents there so that over flow goes into the tank or on your shoes. And Virgin copper is not needed on the lights, only on the fual sender. Virgin copper has less resistance than standard copper wire so that the guage reads more acuratly.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Thanks!

Do you know where I can find virgin copper wire and connectors? Also, what gauge of wire should I use for the brake wiring?

Lastly, which is the best way connect three wires together?

Thanks again.

SC
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

About any of the US manufacturers will have virgin copper and not alloy in the wire.

It's the 'China' import crap you have to watch.

I like 'Essex' brand wire, made in the US and it's all virgin copper unless otherwise noted.

You might want to try some 'Trailer Cable' from someplace like NAPA or a big truck store.
That will be several strands of insulated, high grade wire in a VERY tough insulated cover.

Same wire they use between truck and trailer, and from the connector in the front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer.

If you run that inside your vehicle to the hole in the back down to the lights,
You can use the Trailer cable and won't have to use a outer wrapper on the wires.

Industrial grade cables like trailer cable will be virgin copper, and probably larger wire gauge than you will ever need.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

Yep, JeepHammer is right on. All copper wire made in the USA is virgin copper, no alloy mix. Essex, Carol, Anaconda are all good.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys,

My right brake lights have two wires coming out of them the travel across the frame and pick up my left brake light. Now how do I splice this wire into my left light? I currently have those blue inline splicer thingies...Not sure what they are called but really do not like the connection...

Thanks again for all the help...I can replace what I have easily but really want to know the "right" way to do this.

SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.