Rear end swap - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

Rear end swap

Hi guys, please don't be mad at another new guy with another question I should probably know the answer to, but I am trying to learn all this, and I am not sure where to turn. So, here goes... I acquired a 1979 cj5. It has had a 10 inch lift, and is sitting on 35s. It has the AMC 304 v8. The transfer case is upgraded to a dana 300. The front and rear diffs are original, I believe it's a d 20 in front, and a d 30 in back. When I bought it I thought the leak in the rear that I found was a pinion seal... Turns out the bearing was bad, and it was driven like that long enough that the pinion shaft wallowed out the hole in the case to the point that I have to put a new rear end on it. So, being broke and only working part time now, I am on a budget. I can't afford a cj rear, but have been told that other vehicles share the same size rear end. Like maybe an older Cherokee, or an old dodge dakota would be the same. Does anyone know what rear end are compatible that I might be able to find in a you pull it place or junk yard? I am no mechanic, but am pretty good at learning all this stuff. (Just rebuilt the lower unit on my boat with gears I found on eBay for a hundred fifty bucks cause I couldn't afford the 1600.00 the boat place wanted). At any rate, any advice or tips or just vehicles I can cross reference with would really make this easier. Thanks for your patience and help guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 08:06 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

Your best option is a D44 rear axle out of a Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport from the early to mid 90's. It will come with disc brakes factory and probably 4.30 gears, plus a trac lok limited slip diff. Just don't buy one from a 98' plus because it's wider and has a mongoloid pinion gear with oddball bearings. You have a D30 front axle if it's factory. You will have to re-gear it to 4.30 and those gears are gonna cost, but that metric D44 rear with disc brakes factory, plus parking brake makes it worth it.

Edit: you'll need to run wheel spacers on the D30 front to equal the width of the Rodeo/Passport D44 rear. The Rodeo/Passort D44 rear is about 4 inches wider total than the D30 front. Not an ideal situation, but doable if done correctly. If you were running a late 70's Wagoneer D44 front axle it would be a perfect match made in heaven. My Father runs this setup with 33" KO2's and it is an exceptional setup.
AstroGuy likes this.

Shaun

1978 CJ5 to CJ6 - Build in progress......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

That is an outstanding place to start, thanks!

post #4 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

I think we need to address some other issues first. 10" of lift is godawful tall to clear 35s and ridiculous on a cj5, your driveshaft must be spinning near vertical. This is what ate your pinion bearings and axle housing, and if you don't correct that, will destroy whatever axle you swap in. Can you post some pics of the overall jeep, and the driveline?

The rodeo/passport rear is 6 lug, no? So you'll need to add wheel adapters into the cost and overall width.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
CSP

Counter to what you may have been told, there are ZERO bolt in axles that have the same width, spring perch spacing, lug pattern, etc. An older Cherokee for example, is at least 10" wider than the existing rear axle.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagemaus View Post
Hi guys, please don't be mad at another new guy with another question I should probably know the answer to, but I am trying to learn all this, and I am not sure where to turn. So, here goes... I acquired a 1979 cj5. It has had a 10 inch lift, and is sitting on 35s. It has the AMC 304 v8. The transfer case is upgraded to a dana 300. The front and rear diffs are original, I believe it's a d 20 in front, and a d 30 in back. When I bought it I thought the leak in the rear that I found was a pinion seal... Turns out the bearing was bad, and it was driven like that long enough that the pinion shaft wallowed out the hole in the case to the point that I have to put a new rear end on it. So, being broke and only working part time now, I am on a budget. I can't afford a cj rear, but have been told that other vehicles share the same size rear end. Like maybe an older Cherokee, or an old dodge dakota would be the same. Does anyone know what rear end are compatible that I might be able to find in a you pull it place or junk yard? I am no mechanic, but am pretty good at learning all this stuff. (Just rebuilt the lower unit on my boat with gears I found on eBay for a hundred fifty bucks cause I couldn't afford the 1600.00 the boat place wanted). At any rate, any advice or tips or just vehicles I can cross reference with would really make this easier. Thanks for your patience and help guys!
I just picked up a dana 44 out of a 75 CJ5 thats in excellent shape, for $200. NOt sure if I am going to use it or not, just couldn't pass it up, Where are you? we might work a deal.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

That 44 might be just what I need. I will get pics and put them up as soon as I can. I would definitely be interested if it will fit. Also, from the reading I have been doing, I agree, a 10 " lift is just ridiculous. I am thinking I am going to let it to a four or six inch lift for the very rain you guys were talking about, it is WAY too much incline for the driveshaft. I also believe this is what caused the pinion problem in the first place. It's close to a 40 degree incline if I had to guess.
jurgen24 likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

By the way dry seals, I am in the New Orleans area. Depending on what part of Texas you are in, I might be able to make a road trip...
post #9 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

I am going to post what I have here, and will take new ones soon. I have the jeep parked across town at family's house where I have room to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170815_122937_1503875714699.jpg   20170807_114918_1503875754838.jpg   20170815_122128_1503875787475.jpg  
post #10 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

It looks like there is no CV joint at the transfer case. This thing must have vibrated like crazy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...ep-axle-swaps/

30-SPLINE CJ DANA 44 REAR

Found in:*70-71 CJ (offset); 72-75 CJ, Jeepster/Commando (centered)
Width between wheel mount surfaces:*51 inches

And then add 1.25" spacers in the front, would get u close to 51".

post #12 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen24 View Post
It looks like there is no CV joint at the transfer case. This thing must have vibrated like crazy.

Probably what contributed to the pinion bearing wear. Thats what happens when you have no idea what you're doing slap something together like that.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagemaus View Post
By the way dry seals, I am in the New Orleans area. Depending on what part of Texas you are in, I might be able to make a road trip...
I'm right on the border with Texas and Louisiana just off I-10 a couple of miles, a stones throw from a place called Bridge City. I'm going to call my rear end guy tomorrow and see which way he thinks I should go, the Dana or rebuild the AMC 20. So by the week end I will know for sure. I'll keep you posted.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-27-2017, 08:35 PM
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

WOW! If they did that to the rear doing the SOA can't imagine how messed up the front axle is. Bet it drove like doggy dodo over 15 mph! Surprised the transfer case output bearings are still in one piece.

I own a Harley and a JEEP, still some people can't figure out why I'm broke!
post #15 of 23 Old 09-02-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Ravagemaus

I am told the transfer case is new, and the guy the did the front diff is not the guy the did the other work that caused all the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.