Rear end question for upgrading V8/383 swap in CJ-7. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear end question for upgrading V8/383 swap in CJ-7.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-25-2002, 01:08 AM   #1
JunkJeep?

Rear end question for upgrading V8/383 swap in CJ-7.

Ever since my CJ-7 was swapped with a 383 Stroker and TH-350 tranny I feel I should have a larger power distribution to the rear wheels. Not like I want to pop wheelies or anything, but should the rear end gears be changed/upgraded? I run 33 inch tires/ 2 and 1/2 inch lift on an 86 CJ-7. I have a Dana 44 rear end stock, but should this be upgraded? I keep getting told not to alter as this rearend is quite capable and reputable for fairly heavy abuse even behind a V8/ 350 Tranny Swap. I use this Jeep as a daily driver as well as off-road, does anyone have any suggestions as to getting better performance.

JunkJeep? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

I had a few Rear end shops tell me the same thing. The widetrack or 1986 44 is the one to have. The 44 is a tough axle. It's center section is behind the Viper and some of the older Vettes. For added strenght I replaced my Ujoint caps for loops. They also said run it till you tear it up, then buy the 60 or 9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.